free website stats program Easy Fork Oil Change On Baggers | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Easy Fork Oil Change On Baggers

that way i do it and is listed about for non air assist is vaccume at the drain lug pinch off then open with fluid and it will suck it back in that way .. then you dont have to open fairing or nacell to get to fork caps

Years ago, I removed the cap off a 1991 Sportster fork (fork removed from the bike) and had to take the fork leg in to get the capscrew back on.

So I wonder, with the bike on a lift and the wheel off the ground, is there any pre-load pressure on the fork cap? Can it just be re-installed by hand without a lot of downward pressure and danger of starting cross threaded?

Years ago, I removed the cap off a 1991 Sportster fork (fork removed from the bike) and had to take the fork leg in to get the capscrew back on.

So I wonder, with the bike on a lift and the wheel off the ground, is there any pre-load pressure on the fork cap? Can it just be re-installed by hand without a lot of downward pressure and danger of starting cross threaded?

When I changed the fork oil in my '07 Sporty, I had it on a lift with the front wheel off the ground, and yes the spring was under considerable pressure. It was a bear to get rethreaded, but with a second set of hands holding the forks and alot of grunting we did it. That was before Mr. Data's idea on the vacuum method. I've already put together the rig, so when I change the fork oil in the Heritage I will use the other method.... By the way I believe Bud White had the idea to compliment Gliders method by using the Caliber bleed screw instead of drilling out a drain screw... (Check your drain screw size)

Thanks for confirming; I thought so. I’m building Glider’s jig as well, and will change the oil before riding season starts again. Kindly let us know how it went for you.

Also a note of appreciation to Mr. Data, Bud and Porter for sharing their experience.

Do you have a link to show me (so i can see) with what different solutions i can apply the vacuum ?

I'm asking because in his thread "Touring Air Shock Oil Change" Bud White says he tried a vacuum tool which didn't work.

mity vac, is a compagny name !? what model would fit for the job ?

Yes it is a company name. I have used this model with good results.

The center on on the top line will do the job for you here... MityVac

mitmv8020.html

Reading the text and looking at the sample photo's I got to wondering, is the valve really needed for air assisted suspension?

Couldn't the hollowed out bolt just be inserted into a clear tube, hose clamped to seal/hold it. Then after draining the old oil, inserted it into the drain hole with the tubes other end placed into a container with the appropriate fluid amount, hook up the Mity vac and create a vaccum that will draw the fluid into the fork.

The manual does the same thing without the thread end adaption. It says to use a battery vent tube placed in the container with the other end simply inserted into the drain hole.

Other than non air assisted forks, the only reason I can see to use the valve is to build vacuum with it closed which may create a stronger pull for the fluid when opened.

Seems like it would be simpler to build w/o the brake lines, valves and all the clamps....

or am I just missing something altogether and the valve is needed no matter the system?

Back