free website stats program Early reminder, watch out for those side streets | Harley Davidson Forums

Early reminder, watch out for those side streets

That was definetly too close!!! The speed limit is 100 kph? The speedo looks like it says 175 or so (110 mph)!! We all sometimes go a little too fast in some situations and need to be prepared for the worst. Fortunely this rider was and definetly knows how to brake in a panic, stop, and check his shorts.

My take is the driver of the car was not at fault. They had no way of knowing the person on the bike was doing close to double the speed limit and would be approaching twice as fast as should be expected. The person on the bike should be glad he didn't get himself or someone else killed.

Looks like he pulled over to contemplate the wisdom of riding a country road in close proximity to town at 10500 RPM in second gear.

Talk about a close call, you can see where he cleaned the dust off the back of that car if you look really close. Was in Germany this past summer and all i can say about that autobahn is wow!! Motorcycles will white line it at well over 100 mph and they make it look easy. Took me about a month to get used to driving on our roads again. Luckily, no tickets in the adjustment perod :D.

Attachments

• SDC12115.jpg
    SDC12115.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 36
  • SDC12118.jpg
    SDC12118.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 35
  • SDC12058.jpg
    SDC12058.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Talk about a close call, you can see where he cleaned the dust off the back of that car if you look really close. Was in Germany this past summer and all i can say about that autobahn is wow!! Motorcycles will white line it at well over 100 mph and they make it look easy. Took me about a month to get used to driving on our roads again. Luckily, no tickets in the adjustment perod :D.

180 mph at less than 3000 rpm?? How many speeds does that transmission have?

I hear what you're saying :) Living close to Germany is a boon sometimes, but I can only ride that fast for a short amount of time. 60mph is an ideal cruising speed :)

I hear what you're saying :) Living close to Germany is a boon sometimes, but I can only ride that fast for a short amount of time. 60mph is an ideal cruising speed :)

I'm not sure if i would want to ride on the autobahn or not. Like you say, 60 is an ideal cruising speed, but most of the time no one is going that slow unless there is a stow. Am going back to France this June for D-day observation and then over to LeMans. That Vette is my dads and he is in a club in Germany. For some reason, not quite sure, we get to watch the race from the center of the track, and camp out there too. One of the best perks, we get to run the track for a while before the race starts. Life is good..............

Having lived in Germany for about 8 years during the 80s and again in the early 90s the autobahns do tend to go fairly fast
As wife is German we have to visit her family most years so main summer trip on the bikes is to go visit her family then do a wee bit of touring in the Rhine and mosel valleys But last year was too hot for us and seemed to spend a lot of time lane splitting through the inevitable stau that seem to spring up on almost every autobahn
Although we travel at between 70 and 80 we are usually in the slow lane only moving out into faster traffic to pass the trucks and it can be a bit of a challenge to move into a lane where a lot of the traffic is doing 100+

Brian

Back