free website stats program dyna super glide versus street bob | Harley Davidson Forums

dyna super glide versus street bob

Vince

I have a 2009 fxd and I like the bike but the speedometer is terrible you can not see it alot of the time because the light and number bkend in so i have been thinking about trading in on a strret bob any know of any problems with them thanks for the help Vince

Both bikes are essentially the same, with the major exceptions of the seat height, the bars, and the speedo location. If you like your FXD, you should be happy with a Street Bob.

I am sure you are aware of the beating your wallet is going to take trading your FXD in for the "Bob". Like you, a lot of Super Glide owners decide they just can't handle the speedo location. There are alternatives to going to a different bike.

One is to buy a take-off tank, speedo, and a few other miscellaneous parts from any 06 and later Street Bob and convert your bike. I have seen this done for as little as a few hundred bucks.

I purchased the FXD because it was the cheapest big twin and best suited my budget. Then, as the wife wasn't looking, I made subtle changes to it, one being changes to the speedo. I installed a digital speedometer which also gave me a tach. You can see the speedo somewhat in this pic.

Picture005-3.jpg

Thanks for your information. who made your speedometer and does it do real good in the sun. Is it red or blue led lights Vince

It is a Dakota clone. These knock-offs are getting harder to find and I recommend if you are going to this style digital, go with the Dakota. The display is green LED and does not show up well in direct sunlight. These speedos may cause headaches with warranty issues because they do not recognize communication from the ECM and do not display error codes.

Another option for you might be a different speedo from Harley to replace the OEM unit. Harley offers a replacement speedo with a tach which is a plug-n-play swap. This unit also offers hundreds of color/light combinations which the user can set-up to meet their liking. The run about $400, but cheaper than trading in the bike. Check out the accessories section of Harley's website.

Last edited:
I talked to the Harley dealer here and he says they don't have any other one for the handle but the one that comes with it do you have a idea of any numbers of other ones Vince

I changed the speedo housing and riser on my 09 fxd to the speedo and riser from a 09 sportster custom. I also changed out the handle bars from a sportster. When I did this I did not have to change out any cables. I like the look much better tht the standard fxd.

Back