free website stats program Dyna Inner Primary Bearing damaged | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna Inner Primary Bearing damaged

Just replaced my Inner primary bearing @ 17k. Started getting a little noisy and the inner seal started leaking. All went smooth. The bearing came off the shaft with ease. I did notice a little wear on the shaft and Looking at the old bearings I saw wear there also. I did nothing to the shaft, just put the new bearing back on. It seemed to rotate smooth. Question is, Am I going to be doing this again and again and will the shaft have to be replaced at some point and time? Thanks!

Just replaced my Inner primary bearing @ 17k. Started getting a little noisy and the inner seal started leaking. All went smooth. The bearing came off the shaft with ease. I did notice a little wear on the shaft and Looking at the old bearings I saw wear there also. I did nothing to the shaft, just put the new bearing back on. It seemed to rotate smooth. Question is, Am I going to be doing this again and again and will the shaft have to be replaced at some point and time? Thanks!

Dyna 06 Trans Bearing Replacement. - Harley Davidson Community more info by using the search box with key words

Time out. You should have a race/seal area (inner race bearing) that slips over the tranny shaft, right? That is what you replaced? Did you also replace the bearing in the inner primary?

TQ

I replaced the inner bearing which is pressed in the inner primary cover. And the shaft seal. Not sure what you are calling the inner race bearing. This was a roller bearing. Rode around 200 miles today. No vibration. I did notice some oil weeping down the back of the cover when I got home. I did follow the manuals instructions when I did this.

I replaced the inner bearing which is pressed in the inner primary cover. And the shaft seal. Not sure what you are calling the inner race bearing. This was a roller bearing. Rode around 200 miles today. No vibration. I did notice some oil weeping down the back of the cover when I got home. I did follow the manuals instructions when I did this.

What I am talking about is #98 here:

2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna Wide Glide FXDWGI OEM Parts

On the fluid on the back of the inner primary, do you have a "J" shaped tranny vent tube that blows on the back of the inner primary? If so, replace that with a couple of feet of hose from an autoparts store, running the hose to the other side of the tranny and down below the bike where the other vent line is. Then clean the back of the inner primary very carefully and see if the leak is gone.

TQ

I see what you are talking about now. :newsmile07: No, I did not replace the race. I'm okay with going back in again and doing it right. First Harley I've owned and worked on so live and learn. Thanks!

I see what you are talking about now. :newsmile07: No, I did not replace the race. I'm okay with going back in again and doing it right. First Harley I've owned and worked on so live and learn. Thanks!

You may not HAVE to replace it, but I would suggest going back in to inspect it at least if you did not do so when you replaced the bearing. If you had to replace the bearing because it tore up, you may see some damage to the inner race bearing too. This is the sealing surface for the oil seal, so if it is damaged, that could explain the leak.

TQ

You may not HAVE to replace it, but I would suggest going back in to inspect it at least if you did not do so when you replaced the bearing. If you had to replace the bearing because it tore up, you may see some damage to the inner race bearing too. This is the sealing surface for the oil seal, so if it is damaged, that could explain the leak.

TQ

You might want to put some tape over the mainshaft spline so you don't damage the seal when you reassemble.

You might want to put some tape over the mainshaft spline so you don't damage the seal when you reassemble.

Not trying to be funny here but those finger condoms like the DR uses well they work good too:s

The plan is: Ordered the Baker High Torque Bearing/Built in Race and Seal kit. Part No-189-56.

Will put this in later in the week.

One piece of mind is the Stator/Cover has already been upgraded so I don't need to deal with that.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm planning on participating in the Run to the wall ride so I'm hoping this is the last repair for the year.

Back