free website stats program Dunlop releases an option for the D407/D408 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dunlop releases an option for the D407/D408

SkootchNC

Good news for those who have reported problems with the Dunlop D-407/ D-408. I just got home from the Cycle world show, and spent a while chatting with the Dunlop reps.
Buddy of mine has a 2009 ULTRA, with 20,000 miles on it, he's on his second front tire, and is getting ready to put the THIRD rear tire on it. We asked the reps, WHEN??? were they gonna make an Elite-3 in the 2009/2010 sizes. The rep smiles, and showed us the new "American Elite" and all-new tire, for those weird sized rims on Steve's Ultra.

No word on when they will be available, but keep and eye out... no price either.... but it's good to know ya'll will have options soon

If I remember right. A manufacturer is allowed one year exclusive rights to a part on a vehicle. Then they have to allow after market to manufacturer the replacement parts. So more than one tire company is getting ready to jump into the tire market. Fossil

I never had problems with the 407. got 15K out of mine. Options are always a good thing, I used to run the Elite 3 on my old Heritage....good rubber.

I have my bike in the air, the rear tire is strating to cup. so i'm going to put a new one on I could get some more mileage out of it but i plan on doing a lot of hard ridding when the weather inporves don't what the down time..I was thinking going back to 407 ( just a little over12k on stock tire) it looks like i need brake pads also. I will have to get 15k on the bike for this year ridding season It looks like 15k would be where i get the full use of the parts

I caught a nail at 6 K on my front tire and it was replaced, it had pretty bad cupping. My rear tire showed little wear, now at 7200 rear is starting to cup but has plenty of tread. I weigh 180 never 2 up and do a lot of canyon rides not much freeway. I hope the MOCO recalls the cupped tires.
WAP.gif

I caught a nail at 6 K on my front tire and it was replaced, it had pretty bad cupping. My rear tire showed little wear, now at 7200 rear is starting to cup but has plenty of tread. I weigh 180 never 2 up and do a lot of canyon rides not much freeway. I hope the MOCO recalls the cupped tires.

I don't know the full information, but your service depts SHOULD have the info.
Buddy of mine had very badly cupped tires (front and rear) replaced both @ 10k. We both thought 10 was rather quick to replace front tires, but, it cupped so badly, it looked more like a knobby, that a street tire.

Seems the early D-407 were prone to cupping, HD and Dunlop upped air pressure to 41 front and rear.

He talked to the service dept last time he was there, and they told him of the "semi-recall" of the tires. He's getting a store credit for the cost of the two tires. So it's worth asking about.

Fossil... yeah, I knew the year was up last autumn, and everyone I know with a 2009-2010 has been searching for a replacement for the D407-408. This new Dunlop is the first one, that I've actually herd, or seen

To whom it may concern: If you are happy with your D-407/407 I'm happy to hear that. I'm not trying to open a can o'worms...lots of people like D-402's, many do not..... each rider likes what they like.

i don't have 1k yet on this new ultra but i'll swap out as soon as metzler has a set of me880s that'll fit these oddball sizes.

I just replaced both tire's on my bike a week ago never received any notice of a recall from HD or Dunlap about anything? Today went to the dealer and at the service counter laying right in front of me was a notification sent out to the dealerships back in November of 2009 warning them of the problem! and if the customer did not complain about the tires do nothing? Only if you complain will you get action from them! and I had just a little over 10,000 miles on both front and rear and had to replaced them both because of a trip i'm taking at the end of july

Back