free website stats program DTC Code P0562 | Harley Davidson Forums

DTC Code P0562

Romain

I ride a 07 XL1200C and I have just swapped my stock exhaust for a pair of V&H Straightshot Slip-Ons and, Man, do they sound great.

While I am waiting for my Dynatek F1and my K&N air filter I went for a test ride, all went well but after 1/2 hour or so, the engine light went on, as did the battery light. I gently made my way back stopping a couple of times on the way to give the engine a chance to cool, just in case. After a few minutes, the lights came on again.

Once back to base, I ran the diagnostic and it gave me a P0562 code. Following the battery light coming on and the fact that the code indicate a low battery, I removed it, checked it, it looked in very good condition, no corrosion of any kind, no cracks and the voltmeter read 12.2 so clearly it needed charging.

I charged it until the reading was near 13 and reinstalled it, checked all the wiring just to make sure and went for another test ride.
As before, the lights came on and the result was the same, P0562. The voltmeter read 12.43.

Has the problem anything to do with the installation of the V&H, or is it purely coincidental and caused by something else? Even after the lights come on the bike seems to run fine.

Is the battery at fault or is there something wrong with the charging system?

I am contemplating reinstalling the stock baffles just to see if it make any difference but before doing that, I am racking your brains for advice, it's never failed before. :33:

Put a volt meter on the battery and run the RPM's up and watch to see if the voltage climbs and drops off again or not indication a charging problem.

Thanks. :)

The ground strap is well tight though I notice that there is no cable stop as shown on the manual; doesn't looks like it needs it. The fuses look good and are well greased up but I will check them up again.

I have the security system but I don't have a clue as to where the aerial is.
By the way, if the alarm sounds when you disconnect the battery without first turning on the key and removing the maxi fuse, where does the current comes from?

I will try to run the voltmeter as you suggest in the morning (not too early because of the noise!) and let you know the outcome.

The alarm antenna looks like a piece of wire that is about 7" long near they alarm unit itself.

The smart siren has it's own battery backup in the unit that charges from your charging system on the bike.

Last edited:
Ran the voltmeter before starting the engine, the battery hadn't lost any charge since I switched the ignition off yesterday, under power, it read up to 14.18 at around 2500rpm.

I'm afraid, I can't figure what the matter is though I'm now inclined to think the change of exhaust had nothing to do with it unless there is a heat issue somewhere as the only electrical connection around the exhaust are the O2 sensors.

I think your right, I don't think the exhaust change had anything to do with your batter voltage. This is for an '08 sportster but maybe it'll help ya out.:s

Attachments

• DTC-p0562.pdf
    90.1 KB · Views: 110
I apologise, wildspirit97, I never thanked you for the PDF.

Just to check, I put the stock exhaust back on and, as expected it didn't solve the problem.

Mechanic, I can figure out but the electrical is more like witchcraft to me so I took the bike to a mechanic with the diagnostic tools and the know-how; turns out the regulator was at fault.

Problem solved, great to be back on the road. :D

Back