free website stats program Drive Belt Teeth | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive Belt Teeth

2002SilverSurfer

The last time I had my scoot in for a rear tire change, the HD shop noticed I had a bit of a chunk or gouge out of my primary belt. Not having a thick enough wallet dictated that I wouldnt be able to get it changed out right then and there. I admit I have ridden quite a few miles with that gouge and it has shown no ill effects and doesnt seem to be getting any worse. Regardless, I am trying to get the money together to get it replaced and in doing my research, found out that the 2002 Heritage takes a 1 1/8" wide 135 tooth belt. Is that correct? If it is, then that leads me to my next question. I found a guy selling a belt at a large discount from the HD price. The only problem is, he says it is a 1 1/8" wide 136 tooth belt. Can I use it?

As always, many and much thanks to all the HD powers that be that seem to know all on this forum.....

The last time I had my scoot in for a rear tire change, the HD shop noticed I had a bit of a chunk or gouge out of my primary belt. Not having a thick enough wallet dictated that I wouldnt be able to get it changed out right then and there. I admit I have ridden quite a few miles with that gouge and it has shown no ill effects and doesnt seem to be getting any worse. Regardless, I am trying to get the money together to get it replaced and in doing my research, found out that the 2002 Heritage takes a 1 1/8" wide 135 tooth belt. Is that correct? If it is, then that leads me to my next question. I found a guy selling a belt at a large discount from the HD price. The only problem is, he says it is a 1 1/8" wide 136 tooth belt. Can I use it?

As always, many and much thanks to all the HD powers that be that seem to know all on this forum.....
You are talking about your rear drive belt and not the primary, I believe.
Usually the primary will be chain driven. Unless, a custom build or had the primary system changed. Could be wrong or it could be the beer.:)

Apologies....I meant the rear drive belt. Yes, the primary chain is in fact a chain. I guesss my brain was thinking that its the most important belt so it must be the primary one....or something along those lines.

Anyway, no one has the answer?? Will either a 135 or 136 tooth drive belt work on a 2002 Heritage?

I agree with Smitty.
If you aren't throwing any more chunks off the belt, and if there are no visible signs of cracking, seperation, or visible damage or seperation of the cords within, I would run it like it is.
Todays belts are extremely durable and good for lots & lots of miles.

I would have to think it is going to be on the long side, meaning you would have your rear axle toward the limit of adjustment.

A service maual for your bike should state what length belt is stock. If the front or rear sproket has been changed, they may have gone with a different belt, so I would count the teeth on those too.

the belt should be the same size as what can off to fit corrcetly heres some good belt reading
Drive Belts - Harley Davidson Community
The Run Down On Drive Belts - Harley Davidson Community

I am not recommending running a damaged belt.... but I have seen a few damaged ones run a lot od miles

Smitty...as always, thanks for the links. I had already read one of those and the other was also some good info. Neither of them discussed number of teeth on the belt though and issues with changing out to a different number of teeth. I will continue to research. I didnt want to run the damaged belt at all but due to financial strains, I have probably run the one with teh chunk missing for about 15,000 miles already...LOL. Just figured if the belt with the +1 tooth fit and I could get it for like $80 versus the MOCO belt for like $200, I was going to jump at the chance.

I agree with Smitty.
If you aren't throwing any more chunks off the belt, and if there are no visible signs of cracking, seperation, or visible damage or seperation of the cords within, I would run it like it is.
Todays belts are extremely durable and good for lots & lots of miles.

As I stated above, I would have to look at the mileage when they pointed it out to me at the dealership during some other maintenance. I bet its close to 15,000 miles.....

I would have to think it is going to be on the long side, meaning you would have your rear axle toward the limit of adjustment.

A service maual for your bike should state what length belt is stock. If the front or rear sproket has been changed, they may have gone with a different belt, so I would count the teeth on those too.

Yeah...thats where I think it may be an issue...the rear axle. According to HD or some such website, the 2002 Heritage takes a 135 tooth drive belt. Neither of the sprockets has been changed to my knowledge so I will continue to research in the attempt to save some cash!!!

80,000 - 100,000 miles is not unusual for these later model drive belts.
Keep in mind it is quite labor intensive to change. Also, should you decide to change it, take particular care to inspect the condition of the pulleys. If they are wearing, and starting to flake metal, the life of your new belt will be shortened.
If the pulleys are showing this wear, they should be cdhanged with the belt.

manufacturer and part number

I don't have a clue which belt you need but I would bet that in this day and age the belt will have the manufacturer's name and part number. With that you ought to be able to back into what it is supposed to fit.

Just a thought.

I would think that the number of teeth on the belt must match the number of groves on the pulley(s), otherwise they would not line up properly.

Meaning, the belt is a certain length. If there are more teeth than there should be, then that means there are smaller spaces between 'teeth' on the belt and the 'teeth' would not match the spaces between the grooves on the pulley.

This is my first Harley with a belt, and I haven't needed to change it yet so take this with caution as I'm making an educated guess here.

It holds true on any of my larger belt driven machinery that you have to match the belt teeth to pully teeth the same as a chain to a sprocket,so I can't see where a Harley drive belt would be any different

Back