free website stats program drive belt replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

drive belt replacement

oldscoolz

anyone have pics of a belt replacement? i have an '02 rk and have scanned a couple threads and looked at the shop manual. looks like the swingarm and chaincase need to come off. any help on special tools or common problems greatly appreciated. thanks.

I've never done it but I hear you once you get it all unbolted you have to raise the rear tire with a pry bar to get enough slack in the belt to get it off.

There is a video of this on Youtube. Do a few different searches of word phases.

I've done it a couple of times. Outer and inner primary come off. You then remove the swingarm pivot mount on that side and the lower shock mount and remove the belt. If you relax the wheel adjusters fully, should give you enough slack in the belt.

2000classic, glad to hear uv done it before. are u sayin i can get enough slack on the belt to get it off the rear wheel sprocket without completely removing the swingarm? how exactly do u remove the swingarm pivot mount?

to get the belt off the transmission sprocket, i'm thinkin i shouldn't have to take the transmission sprocket off, but will have to take the primary chaincase assembly off. does that sound right? thanks for the help.

Sorry, don't have the manual nearby, so this is from memory. No need to remove the swingarm or drive sproket. As for the pivot mount, remove the left passenger floorboard and chrome plugs covering the main pivot shaft. Remove nut from main pivot shaft and drive the shaft in far enough to clear the left mount. Remove the two bolts holding the mount and remove. And yes all of the primary comes off.

i looked on youtube and was surprised i couldnt find anything that showed how to change the belt on something comparable to an 02 rk. there are some bits and pieces that show how to take the primary chaincase and components off, but nothing that really shows how to change the belt from start to finish. the manual seems to say you have to take the swingarm off, but sounds like u really don't.

glider mentioned in an old thread (2008 i think) there were pics on belt replacement at a UK website. musta changed since then. couldnt find any pics about this at that website now. anyway, thanks all for the info. appreciate any more comments from those of u have changed ur belts. i think i got the outlines. was lookin for some details.

Just checked the manual for my 2001 Road King. It recomends removing left side exhaust which I don't recall if I did or not. Otherwise it is as I said in my previous post. No need to remove swing arm. If your not looking at the factory service manual, I would strongly suggest getting one for your bike.:)

ok. yep, got the manual and have checked it out. exhaust is comin off for the belt change. just recently had it off to weld a crack at the rear exhaust pipe Y. thanks for your help.

Take a good look at both sprockets, remember how the belt was tracking, look for highly polished spots on the pulleys JMO

Back