free website stats program Do you oil a new Arlen Ness air filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you oil a new Arlen Ness air filter

Carroll B

Just installed a big sucker stage 1 filter assembly on my Ultra. Ness sells a re-charge kit and yet the new filter was dry. Do I need to oil the new filter? I have a re-charge kit for my K&N from the filter in my vette and will use this oil if necessary.

My Big Sucker came preoiled, so if yours is dry I would oil it if stated in the instruction sheet
kemo

The filter is white.Its the oil that gives it its color.I now simply use the K&N cleaner and oil as its more readily available.Its virtualy the same filter as the K&N.

If your filter is white, you need to oil it per the instructions.If it has a red tint to it, its good to go.

The filter is white.Its the oil that gives it its color.I now simply use the K&N cleaner and oil as its more readily available.Its virtualy the same filter as the K&N.

If your filter is white, you need to oil it per the instructions.If it has a red tint to it, its good to go.

not true if its the new stainless filter it uses a clear oil

From the Ness installation instructions for the big sucker...

STEP 6: Fully clean and install your existing air cleaner
cover as per the specifications in the appropriate service
manual for your year and model of motorcycle. To ensure
maximum performance, adopt cleaning and re-oiling of the
air cleaner element as part of your regular maintenance
schedule.

Learn something everyday, I always thought the element was "pink", and just so happened that the oil was reddish in color. Always good to know about the new stainless K&N...

The filter was red when it came out of the box but it felt dry like it had never been oiled. I will lightly oil it tonight with the oil from my K&N kit.

Back