free website stats program Disappearing Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Disappearing Oil

--Bonez--

Ok guys seems like I got disappearing oil with no visible oil leaks anywhere.! Checked oil levels and it's only showing 3/16 on the dipstick... Fired it up for about 3 minutes and it went back close to the full mark... I haven't ridden in 2 weeks and it was showing on the full mark 2 weeks ago.! It seems most of went down in the crankcase but this hasn't been an issue in the past... Also, it started using a little oil lately but nothing big enough for concern... A few ounces here and there is about it... Anyway, It always stayed on the full mark even if I hadn't ridden it through the winter months so why is it all down in the crankcase all of a sudden.? Is the using of "a little oil" a sign of something going bad...?

You are smart enough to know not to add oil like some do and end up with a mess.

The wavy washer between the feed and scavenge gerotors, by design, applies pressure on the feed gerotor to prevent oil from passing through. Over time, wear and tear and tolerances increase, wavy washer not working as designed and some oil slips by the feed gerotor into the sump. I dont worry about it, just know it is a thing, like you did, wait a few minutes to allow all the oil in the sump to be pulled back into circulation. Some I know, use fuel line clamp pliers on the short rubber hose under the oil tank to prevent this when they know the bike won't be ridden for a while.

Most of these vtwin motors will use a little oil between changes. Some gets through the head breathers and is burned in combustion and most motors will have some blow by allowing some oil to get by the rings. Using "a little oil" is nothing to lose sleep over. The MoCo will tell you that using a quart in 1000 miles is acceptable.:rolleyes:

Dolt's explanation covers it nicely. I prefer to let it run and let the oil return to the tank over putting a clamp on the line. Oil lines get stiff over time and clamping just might cause a restriction on the feed when removed.

You are smart enough to know not to add oil like some do and end up with a mess.

The wavy washer between the feed and scavenge gerotors, by design, applies pressure on the feed gerotor to prevent oil from passing through. Over time, wear and tear and tolerances increase, wavy washer not working as designed and some oil slips by the feed gerotor into the sump. I dont worry about it, just know it is a thing, like you did, wait a few minutes to allow all the oil in the sump to be pulled back into circulation. Some I know, use fuel line clamp pliers on the short rubber hose under the oil tank to prevent this when they know the bike won't be ridden for a while.

Most of these vtwin motors will use a little oil between changes. Some gets through the head breathers and is burned in combustion and most motors will have some blow by allowing some oil to get by the rings. Using "a little oil" is nothing to lose sleep over. The MoCo will tell you that using a quart in 1000 miles is acceptable.:rolleyes:

Ahhh very well explained Dolt...! lol yeah I knew better than to add extra oil when I know darn well that there's oil in it "but where.?" I was scaratchin my head on this one... So no worries then.? I've never heard of this happening... Is it an easy fix or just live with it and ride on.?

Dolt's explanation covers it nicely. I prefer to let it run and let the oil return to the tank over putting a clamp on the line. Oil lines get stiff over time and clamping just might cause a restriction on the feed when removed.
Yeah Dolt covered it nicely for sure.! I feel better about it now lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonez said:
Ahhh very well explained Dolt...! lol yeah I knew better than to add extra oil when I know darn well that there's oil in it "but where.?" I was scaratchin my head on this one... So no worries then.? I've never heard of this happening... Is it an easy fix or just live with it and ride on.?

No fix; just let the motor idle, like you did, before taking off. My '05 FXSTD and I have been living with it for 18 years.;) I agree with Breeze.:)

No fix; just let the motor idle, like you did, before taking off. My '05 FXSTD and I have been living with it for 18 years.;) I agree with Breeze.:)

Gotcha.! Man I love coming here when I have a problem or need advice... Much appreciated guys.))

Ok guys seems like I got disappearing oil with no visible oil leaks anywhere.! Checked oil levels and it's only showing 3/16 on the dipstick... Fired it up for about 3 minutes and it went back close to the full mark... I haven't ridden in 2 weeks and it was showing on the full mark 2 weeks ago.! It seems most of went down in the crankcase but this hasn't been an issue in the past... Also, it started using a little oil lately but nothing big enough for concern... A few ounces here and there is about it... Anyway, It always stayed on the full mark even if I hadn't ridden it through the winter months so why is it all down in the crankcase all of a sudden.? Is the using of "a little oil" a sign of something going bad...?

Ok Boss,
Remove the check ball, clean out the cavity, inspect check ball and seat for damage.
After cleaning, replace. Sometimes, I replace the check ball and spring. The spring loses tension after years of service. Many times, the cause is dirt from oil between check ball and seat. The technical term is sumping ....

Ok Boss,
Remove the check ball, clean out the cavity, inspect check ball and seat for damage.
After cleaning, replace. Sometimes, I replace the check ball and spring. The spring loses tension after years of service. Many times, the cause is dirt from oil between check ball and seat. The technical term is sumping ....

What check ball and spring are you referring to?

Back