free website stats program Dirty Plastic Lenses | Harley Davidson Forums

Dirty Plastic Lenses

BuffaloBill

Hello Guys & Gals

I need help with removing a film of Dirt around my Fuel and Volt Guages on my 09 UGC

This also occured on my 07 EGC In the morning at dawn when I leave for work both those lenes appear dirty but as daylight appears they are easy to read I have used eyeglass cleaner and they improved but it seems as if the dirt ring is inside is it possible to remove the lenses to clean the inside ?

How can Iprevent this from happening. The other lenses are fine

Any advice whould be appreaciated
BuffaloBILL

The lenses usually aren't removable on the Harley gauges. If it bothers you enough you can have them replaced at a repair facility that does gauges.

Just on the odd chance, are you using anything abrasive to clean the gauge faces? Even a towel at the end of washing a bike can have grit and grime in it, just curious if you may be getting some small abrasions in the gauge faces?

Nope
Other then the Fuel and Volt Plastic lenses show a dirt film The other Guages are fine I use a fiber towel to wipe off the excess water after washing ( I normally clean the Bike with a squirt bottle) spraying areas I do not like taking a hose to it, I try not to get any water on the guages wet.

In the future I will cover the Guages with a towel when washing/ cleaning the bike

BuffaloBILL

HELLO GLIDER

Sorry I do not understand the question, It looks like fine soot type dirt ONLY IN The early morning or Night During daylight hours they are fine. May be weak bulbs on the 2 guages. All the other guage look fine and easy to read i know that the lenses are clean outside NO SCRATCH MARK ISSUES on outer lenses

BuffaloBILL

Just inquiring if these markings are inside of the lenses or on the outside like something stained them.

If it is the inside of the lenses ,it's very common for this to happen and usually parking the bike with the gauges in the sun will dry them up. Some have actually drilled a very tiny hole in the gauge housing to allow air to circulate and eliminate this problem.

Well fuel and volt are the top gauges so you do have a little different line of sight to them. Each guage is lit individually so the other small guages should be from a perspective of available light. is it just a refraction thing (angle of attack) or does that make any difference?

I've noticed mine do that before, but only on cold mornings. After a day of riding and the sun hitting them they clear up. I figured it must be condensation, but the look of it is more of a dull haze than water marks.

wow mine same thing they look like they fog up a little bit as soon as i take it out of garage and after few miles they clear up

Back