free website stats program Died | Harley Davidson Forums

Died

Polarbear

I have a 77 Shovel that I was riding home the other night and going down the road at 60, a little rain not bad, she just shut off. Now when I try to fire it up it backfires out the pipes and carb. Itried to dry it out with WD-40 but no luck. Is this a points issue or a coil issue? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help in advance!!

Hard to tell without testing a few things. I would say points in those bikes.

What did you spray with the WD? Hope not the points.

No, not the points just coil and plug wires.

Thanks Glider, that's what I was thinking and what I will check first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't cause a problem if it was just the plug wires and coil. Still leaning towards the points. They were the weak link in those bikes.

The backfiring would tend to indicate thet the ignition timing is off slightly
so when checking the point ensure you set the points gap first then adjust the timing
may be that the cam follower has worn down and is then opening the points later and retarding the ignition timing

Brian

Check the ignition plate also and lube the cam follower on the new points

LOOK!!! Another 77 (9D) FXE!!!! You gotta love it!

Points... If it's been while replace 'em. Double check your wring connections.

Do you have to double point setup for single fire? Or is it a stock system. Also, since you'll be in the cover, check to make sure to wiring grommet is still good. If it deteriorates, it will let water in the cam cover. Also check your points cover gasket. Check your advance weights. And lube the points plate

For displacing water, use CorrosionX. This stuff is electrically neutral, so it won't hurt your electrical stuff. It can be used on live circuits. We use it at work on electronic and electrical stuff. Everything from SCADA RTUs to motor windings.

http://www.corrosionx.com/

WD40 will conduct electricity, so don't use on anything electrical. It should not be used on plug wires or coils. It will eat the rubber and may migrate to the electrical areas of these items.

Last edited:
SledDog, Thanks for the heads up on the WD. I did not know that. I will check into the corrosion x you mentioned as well as the other things. Thanks All!!

Back