free website stats program Did the "Complete" Oil change today | Harley Davidson Forums

Did the "Complete" Oil change today

HarryB737

After reading about the "complete" oil change on this site, I changed my oil today using this method. Everything went fine, but I had a hard time getting the return line off and on... the fittings wern't the problem, it was manuvering the line itself. There is only about an inch & a half of flexible braid line in the middle of the line and that didn't help much... it would be a lot easier if more braided line were in place. I thought about adding more to it, but upon closer examination I noticed the line changes size also. It's 1/2" coming from the engine to the braid, then on the other side it reduced to 3/8" to the oil tank. Other than part about sweating like a pig messing with the line, I'm very happy with the over all results...Completely clean oil. :D

congrats on doing your maintenance your self now u have $50 i your pocket that would have be spent on labor at the local shop!

congrats on doing your maintenance your self now u have $50 i your pocket that would have be spent on labor at the local shop!

Thanks Holy Diver for responding, I do ALL the work on my vehicles myself. This type of Oil change flushes all the oil out of the passages & hidden places that a normal oil change does not... If you get a chance look in the self help section & it will explain what I'm talking about..

Thanks Holy Diver for responding, I do ALL the work on my vehicles myself. This type of Oil change flushes all the oil out of the passages & hidden places that a normal oil change does not... If you get a chance look in the self help section & it will explain what I'm talking about..

Going to have to try that Harry :D

Glad you can do your own oil changes but why all the hassle. The small amount of the old oil isn't going to do a thing to your engine or any thing else. You never see pro mechinics going to all that trouble. Just changing you oil on a regular basis is the cheapest preventive maintanence you can do.

Glad you can do your own oil changes but why all the hassle. The small amount of the old oil isn't going to do a thing to your engine or any thing else. You never see pro mechinics going to all that trouble. Just changing you oil on a regular basis is the cheapest preventive maintanence you can do.

Fossil, Thanks for responding, I do change my oil on a regular basis, I also choose to get that last quart of dirty oil out of my engine, and really it was not that much more of a problem... one quart of dirty oil mixed with 3 is more than a little. Why from the start of a fresh oil change would you want to fill up your new filter with dirt from that last quart of oil. My Bike, My investment.

I'm pretty sure I can fab one of these pucks up out of an old filter.

Does the oil flow into the filter throught the center, where it screws on?

thanks
D

Back