free website stats program deuce rear tire help please | Harley Davidson Forums

deuce rear tire help please

Jdsmitty10

I am having a difficult time deciding on tires for my wheel set I am about to order. I am told, the metzeler me880's "might" bolt right on with a set of renegade tahoe's. 180-55-18 onto the rear my 2007 deuce.

The thing that I "might" run into is, if the pulley needs spaced out a 1/16" to get the belt away from the tire, the pulley might be too close to the swingarm then. If thats the case, I am told I will need to move everything over a 1/16" therefore needing to shave a 1/16" off the caliper bracket to make that 1/16" space on the left side for the pulley.

Another option mentioned was to just add a washer/spacer to the left side to push the swing arm out just a tad(like a shim) to make the clearance for the pulley. Is this a safe thing to do?

Or go the easy way and just put the dunlop d207zr 180's on which are slightly narrower, which will bolt right on. and mate those with the dunlop elite 3's for the front.

any pointers/help is much appreciated. I really want to go with the metzeler me880's but they are slightly wider causing these "possible" clearance issues. Anyone out there with custom 180-55-18 wheel/tire combo on a 07 deuce with me880's?

Thanks,
Jon

Maybe my brain isn't working yet, but I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you going up a size or do you want to just change brands? I have an 05 deuce and I have the Metzler's on my bike with no issues. I watched my mechanic as he replaced the tires and no changes were made to accommodate the Metzler for the rear. Hope that helps. Forgive me if that isn't he info you were looking for, someone will be along with more knowledge soon if that isn't any help. :s

(For the record, I'm up at 3 AM for work, so on day number 3 and 4, my brain is a bit slower to get going. :) )

I am told I will need to move everything over a 1/16" therefore needing to shave a 1/16" off the caliper bracket to make that 1/16" space on the left side for the pulley.

At all costs I would avoid shifting the center-line of the tire over to the right. That is the last thing you want to do.

Maybe my brain isn't working yet, but I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you going up a size or do you want to just change brands? I have an 05 deuce and I have the Metzler's on my bike with no issues. I watched my mechanic as he replaced the tires and no changes were made to accommodate the Metzler for the rear. Hope that helps. Forgive me if that isn't he info you were looking for, someone will be along with more knowledge soon if that isn't any help. :s

(For the record, I'm up at 3 AM for work, so on day number 3 and 4, my brain is a bit slower to get going. :) )

I am upsizing to an 18" x 5.5" renegade wheel. and upsizing to a 180mm tire. The 180mm dunlop i mentioned will fit with no worries. The 180mm metzeler me880 will "probably" fit with the chance of a need for these "minor" mods. Do you have an 18" wheel with a 180mm metzeler me880? I would RATHER get the metzeler..

At all costs I would avoid shifting the center-line of the tire over to the right. That is the last thing you want to do.

whats your opinion on just adding a spacer to the left to make room between the pulley and swingarm?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was me, I wouldn't even consider taking a chance with "might" or "should." I would put on a tire that you know 100% fits.

Now, if someone chimes in shortly that mounted the exact tire you're considering on your exact bike, then that's a different story.

This would change the thrust angle and the geometry of the bike would be wrong you would be pushing to the right at all times the center line of the bike will have shifted JMO

Fortunately these HDs are all well designed machines. Unfortunately that means that there is no free lunch on modifications. Very few systems can be altered cheaply. Unless its just trim or style "most" changes require matching system changes. Like you can't just change tire sizes without a bunch of accomanying other changes. There may be a few cams that bolt in, but they are pretty mild. Most require aditional changes. Same with suspension. A green horn might thing that changing the bars just means slap on some new cables, but his first attempt will teach him there's more to it than that. (Me for example). This is how we learn though. HDT people are more than just HD riders, we want to know everything. Its what makes this site so awesome!

I just got word that the 07 deuce has a 1" belt instead of a 1-1/8" belt the earlier deuces had which will make the me880 work. So I will be ordering my wheel set today. I will let you all know how it goes when they arrive. Thanks for your responses
WAP.gif

I am upsizing to an 18" x 5.5" renegade wheel. and upsizing to a 180mm tire. The 180mm dunlop i mentioned will fit with no worries. The 180mm metzeler me880 will "probably" fit with the chance of a need for these "minor" mods. Do you have an 18" wheel with a 180mm metzeler me880? I would RATHER get the metzeler..

I just got word that the 07 deuce has a 1" belt instead of a 1-1/8" belt the earlier deuces had which will make the me880 work. So I will be ordering my wheel set today. I will let you all know how it goes when they arrive. Thanks for your responses
WAP.gif

I have the stock wheels on the bike, I'm not sure what size came on it.....it's been too long since I've gotten to ride it. :( But, it looks like you have it sorted out, hope it works out for you. Be sure to take some pictures and share them with us when it's complete.

I just got word that the 07 deuce has a 1" belt instead of a 1-1/8" belt the earlier deuces had which will make the me880 work.

Sounds like you have a better plan now. Just a "heads up" incase you don't already know. Tire pressures that you are use to go out the window when using ME880's.. Depending on your size, it can be 44 to 48 psi when cold. Be absolutely sure to run the correct pressure. It is a must with those tires. Don't go by what the guy selling you the tires says or what the owners manual on your bike says. Read all the information Metzlers has printed and published about those tires. I personally would not mix (front/back) those tires with any other brand or model. I run them and love them..

Back