free website stats program Detachable Tourpak kit concern | Harley Davidson Forums

Detachable Tourpak kit concern

flh canuck

Just bought a detachable tourpak kit for my Electraglide classic and damn does it ever look good without the pizza box. Much nicer and a few pounds lighter for cruising around town as well.

My concern: After paying damn near $400 Canadian for the detachable kit, I am not real impressed with the mounting system as it looks a little flimsy considering the weight of the tour pack plus vibration etc.. Last thing I want is to go on a long trip and have to worry about a fully loaded tourpak.

Anybody had any problems with this detachable mounting system or am I overly concerned about nothing? :19:

I have one on my EGS. I am glad I got it. It has surly came in handy. Not sure what you concerns are? They do have locks for them if that is what you concern is. Look at Harley Davidsons website.

I bought the 2 point docking kit, and currently use it for GF or taking my kid out on weekend rides with the detachable backrest. I've never had any concerns as to the stability of the unit. I say mount the tour pack and hit the road.

I'm sure all the HD engineers thought about all the aspect's of the mounting kit before selling to the public..... right????

I have the Detachable Tourpak on my 07b RG.
I also have a wife. This is very important information.
The Tour pack get filled to the top and I mean full. Then on 4 day weekends it gets the tour master bag less the round top part straped on top of that, add in my wife leaning back taking pictures. It will not fall off.
You should from time to time inspect the mount bushings for wear.
If I anit made it come off yet it aint happening.
You can also buy locks for it I have found no use for them.
Locks part number 46063-98

My main concern was that not unlike smitty901, my wife really likes the Tourpak when she rides with me and when she packs all her stuff in there for a weekend trip, its loaded down pretty good. I was suprised at how heavy the Tourpak is by itself with no stuff in it but obviously my concerns are un-founded.

Thanks for the info.

I used to use the detachable tour pack on my 99 RK all the time with various amounts of stuff in it, never had any issues with the docking points put it on and ride!!. :eam

Had one on my Road king before... and loaded down like in the picture and have never had an issue with instability of falling off. The tent sliding out and falling off is a different issue altogether though. Don't worry about it it will be fine.

Back