free website stats program Detachable Tour-Pak on Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Detachable Tour-Pak on Ultra

Jammr

Hi all. I am looking to make my '05 Ultra's Tour-Pak detachable. I'm looking for a kit and I know they are available, but can't seem to find it in the 2008 HD accessories catalog. I'd also like to know if anyone else has done this, and if so, does the kit include ALL necessary parts? I realize that I'll lose the CB antenna when the Pak is off, that's no problem. I also plan to install the hidden (under the fairing) radio antenna, so that's no problem either. Anyone able to give me the benefit of your experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jammr

Good question .... HD asked me the same thing.
Its a 12 minute swap out once the legwork is done.
Gotta go to work right now but you can PM me

Actually... the kit does NOT fix the CB issue. In fact, if you look at the catalogs, they don't list the Ultra in the fitment matrix for the detachable tourpak hardware.

The issue is with the wire that goes back to the CB antenna... many dealerships won't mess with that. Ours did. I went to Radio Shack and bought a splice kit... I'd never "messed" with that type of wiring (it's shielded, etc), but the senior tech had. So we were able to put together a "quick disconnect" for that wire.

WITHOUT that, you will have to remove the tour pak liner, disconnect the wire at the antenna, then feed it out the hole and coil it under your seat. It's doable, but a bit of a pain. The quick disconnect we installed allowed "breaking" the wire on the outside of the tourpak, no need to remove liner and other steps.

If you're not capable of doing this yourself.. your dealership *might* be able to. If not, try a big truck stop. They usually know somebody who can do that as all the truckers have custom setups sometimes. Shouldn't cost to much to have a quick disconnect installed.

Actually... the kit does NOT fix the CB issue. In fact, if you look at the catalogs, they don't list the Ultra in the fitment matrix for the detachable tourpak hardware.

The issue is with the wire that goes back to the CB antenna... many dealerships won't mess with that. Ours did. I went to Radio Shack and bought a splice kit... I'd never "messed" with that type of wiring (it's shielded, etc), but the senior tech had. So we were able to put together a "quick disconnect" for that wire.

WITHOUT that, you will have to remove the tour pak liner, disconnect the wire at the antenna, then feed it out the hole and coil it under your seat. It's doable, but a bit of a pain. The quick disconnect we installed allowed "breaking" the wire on the outside of the tourpak, no need to remove liner and other steps.

If you're not capable of doing this yourself.. your dealership *might* be able to. If not, try a big truck stop. They usually know somebody who can do that as all the truckers have custom setups sometimes. Shouldn't cost to much to have a quick disconnect installed.

Good response. The truck stop tech is use to working with RF.

Thanks ChopperDude, that is exactly what I was looking for. Since they don't list the Ultra in the fitment matrix for the detachable tourpak hardware, I guess I'll have to go with the Classic kit, and I'll deal with the CB disconnect as you've said. I'll also have to deal with the Tour-Pak lighting and speaker wiring, but that shouldn't be an issue if Murphy stays away. Thanks again.

Regards, Jammr

Last edited:
Thanks ChopperDude, that is exactly what I was looking for. Since they don't list the Ultra in the fitment matrix for the detachable tourpak hardware, I guess I'll have to go with the Classic kit, and I'll deal with the CB disconnect as you've said. I'll also have to deal with the Tour-Pak lighting and speaker wiring, but that shouldn't be an issue if Murphy stays away. Thanks again.

Regards, Jammr

HEY!!! Glad you mentioned it, as I forgot and you might have done more work than needed. The speakers already have connectors! The connector is inside the speaker housing. When the bike comes from the factory, the connectors are outside the housing. Part of the PDI setup, is tucking them up inside there. The little plastic "ring" around the hole is there cosmetically to hide the material that is cut. To get the connectors out, just pull the ring back, and gingerly pull the wire out. The connector might try to get hung up at the hole, just wiggle wire, it'll come out. Once you get the hang of it, you can have them apart and tucked under seat in no time, and reassembly is easy too.

ALSO, the detach kit doesn't do anything about the wiring harness for the tour pak lights. The Classic has lights too, just not as many. So we would cut the wiring harness near the side cover and install Amp Multilock connectors.

It's a pretty easy job, the CB antenna lead and the Amp Multilock connector for the light harness will be your toughest part.

Good luck.

Hi all. I am looking to make my '05 Ultra's Tour-Pak detachable. I'm looking for a kit and I know they are available, but can't seem to find it in the 2008 HD accessories catalog. I'd also like to know if anyone else has done this, and if so, does the kit include ALL necessary parts? I realize that I'll lose the CB antenna when the Pak is off, that's no problem. I also plan to install the hidden (under the fairing) radio antenna, so that's no problem either. Anyone able to give me the benefit of your experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jammr

Jammr did you complete your detachable conversion yet? if so how do you like it, and how much $$$$ was the kit

Back