free website stats program Decision made...pipes ordered. | Harley Davidson Forums

Decision made...pipes ordered.

JKT1969

After MUCH research and listening, and going to any and every site I could on which pipe I should get I finally ordered them yesterday.

Vance & Hines Monster Ovals/Black with Chrome tip. For the wife's 883L a set of Rineharts/Chrome with Black tip.

Now, from what I have understood I can get away without any fuel management on both bikes and add it later, at that time go ahead and add a high performance air filter. ?

when you change your exhaust you dont have to do anything else to the bike, because its not changing anything really other than the air leaving the motor, if you change to a different air filter like the stage one kit or something you will have to take your bike to the dealership and have a stage one download done on it.

Cool. Same with the sporty too I assume? It is also an 09. Plan is to put these bad boys on, ride for a while, then upgrade to a high flow air filter and fuel manager.

a download does not return the motor to stock settings, and if those are the only mods you have done dont waste your time or your money with any type of fuel management. i have had countless bikes in our shop because they (edit) out all the time, if you do decide to use one, use the HD Fuel Pack, they work way better than and of Power Commanders products. I work for Harley and as a Technician and in my experiences the bikes run great with exhaust air cleaner and stage one kit, if these are just your average bikes i would leave it at that. good luck!

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

you are right they do affect other aspects but they dont require any other action if you are just putting on exhaust. trust me i do this for a living for Harley Davidson, so no disrespect to glider or any other member but i dont need them to explain it to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you do decide to use one, use the HD Fuel Pack, they work way better than and of Power Commanders products. I work for Harley and as a Technician and in my experiences the bikes run great with exhaust air cleaner and stage one kit, if these are just your average bikes i would leave it at that. good luck!

You sure you're not getting a kickback to convince us all to only buy Harley stuff for our bikes? First the oil, now the fuel tuner! :p

Per UPS tracking, the pipes are on schedule for a Tuesday afternoon delivery...means they will be there when I get home from work.

Are there any tricks or anything to watch out for when removing the saddle bags? I just turn the clips to the left and the bags come off, correct.

Never installed pipes before...:no

Are there any tricks or anything to watch out for when removing the saddle bags? I just turn the clips to the left and the bags come off, correct.

Getting them off is a lot easier than getting them back on. Make sure one hand is supporting the bag as the other hand turns the clip counter clockwise. If it comes off faster than you expect, the bag can flop right to the floor if you're not ready.

Just be patient putting them back on. Might have to do a considerable amount of wiggling and repositioning on top of the support bar underneath to get everything lined up right. Also, it often takes several attempts to get the clip to reengage the wire as you're twisting it clockwise. If the clip isn't reaching the wire enough to engage it, you probably need to do some adjusting of the bag position, don't just shove harder on the bag or you risk cracking it.

The more you do it, the easier it gets!

"exhaust assembly paste..." I assume this is not something that comes packaged with the pipes?

I am beginning to think I need someone to help me do this. I don't want to mess up a bike that costs this much...:(

Per UPS tracking, the pipes are on schedule for a Tuesday afternoon delivery...means they will be there when I get home from work.

Never installed pipes before...:no

Don't sweat it....seriously. The bags and pipes come off very easily. I can barely change the oil and I was able to swap the pipes out with minimal trouble. You'll like the Monster Ovals. The biggest challenge is getting them aligned from the rear so that they both appear level. I would also recommend flipping the back end caps so they align with back of the saddlebags. They sound fantastic yet still allow you to hear your tunes.

Enjoy your new pipes!!!

What is exhaust paste? Do I need to pick some of that up and do I also need that stuff you put on screws so they stay tight...I forget what it is called.

Back