free website stats program Dealers!?!?!???!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealers!?!?!???!!!

I understand what you are saying, I went through the Mess with My Bike, I got one Screw to loosen and had to Chisel the other 4 out. It is very sad that you Pay this Much Money for a Bike and they put these kind of Screws/Bolts on it. I have Allen Head Bolts in Place now. That Dealer should do better than that with their Service, I would be talking to the Head Manager about this issue, They would get No more of My Business!

Those torx screws are a real pain. ...

I don't follow why folks don't like those torx screws. I've had my inspection cover off twice and the cover on my son's bike once. No problems the first time and always tightened to the proper torque when replaced.

Is it the material the screws are made of or just that it's easy to use a T25 torx by mistake?

If it's cheap material I can see it. In that case you could probably get good replacements from McMaster-Carr or someplace like that.

No problem. The screws don't really need to be that tight anyway.

The Touring service manual says 84 to 108 inch pounds. That's 6 to 9 foot pounds. Easy to get them too tight if you're doing it without a torque wrench. I'm guessing that's the root of the problem with those screws. i.e. Folks that either don't have an inch pound torque wrench or an adapter for a T27 bit.

I talked to a guy this morning who had a dealer do his clutch adjustment. A couple of his inspection cover screws were too tight and he had problems. Did the dealer's mechanic "forget" to use a torque wrench or torque screwdriver? I'm betting that's the case.

Back