free website stats program cutting out when wet | Harley Davidson Forums

cutting out when wet

67hat34c

08 1200c:

Got caught in rain yesterday on way back to orlando from Daytona. After about an hour running in light then heavy rain the bike started to stumble, miss hisitate etc. When I got home I washed it and blew it dry. Ran in garage fine. If I wash the bike and dont blow dry it will do the same thing.

Something is shorting out, any idea what?

Spark plug wire shorting at the coil or the spark plug. Test it with a spray bottle of water by spraying the spark plug wire near the coil and the spark plug and any where else that it can touch metal.
kemo

Sounds like a good idea. I was considering spark plug grounding out but did not see how it could happen. Plugs are new and did not see any wire issues when I changed them but then again was not looking for anything either. I am betting it is at the coil. Does act similar to getting moisture inside a distributor cap.

Also you might not have got the spark plug boot on correctly. On my Buell it would do the same so I ended up using di electric grease in the boot
kemo

Sounds like a good idea. I was considering spark plug grounding out but did not see how it could happen. Plugs are new and did not see any wire issues when I changed them but then again was not looking for anything either. I am betting it is at the coil. Does act similar to getting moisture inside a distributor cap.

Once in a while, my 2000 fxds with a lot of different electrical mods. like scrm-e ignition and heavy orange HD spark-plug wires (fairly new I THOUGHT) would not start AFTER WASHING... I would be some where like Sturgis at a car wash and got pressured water EVERYWHERE.. NOW WHAT?

If you have a problem with a short you will get it WORKING at a pressure wash whether you want it OUR NOT..

While cranking it over,, POP POP n sputter,, I put my hand along the coil n the plug wires and got a SHOCKING awakening..... After DRY, by using several wipe towels and MOUTH blow dry, it fired up and missed a couple of times than RAN fine after the HEAT dried out the electrical.....
I did replace the wires and the FRESH ONES seemed to do good.... NO MORE pressure wash after that... Bucket and cloth.

I KNOW, i know,,, all the sayings about the HIGH POWER PRESSURE WASH but YOU KNOW,,,,,, every now and then..... especially after a rain storm in SD, YOU KNOW THE KIND!

The wires I thought GOOD were removed sever times before, bent, tugged on enough to PROBABLY breaking down the carbon inside the casing and remember Electric takes the path of LEAST RESISTANCE.

SHOCKING , isn't it.

signed....BUBBIE

Test it with a spray bottle of water by spraying the spark plug wire near the coil and the spark plug and any where else that it can touch metal.
kemo

If you follow this path you will find your problem.

Back