cutting out when wet

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by 67hat34c, Mar 29, 2010.

  1. 67hat34c

    67hat34c Active Member

    297
    26
    0
    08 1200c:

    Got caught in rain yesterday on way back to orlando from Daytona. After about an hour running in light then heavy rain the bike started to stumble, miss hisitate etc. When I got home I washed it and blew it dry. Ran in garage fine. If I wash the bike and dont blow dry it will do the same thing.

    Something is shorting out, any idea what?
     
  2. kemo

    kemo R.I.P

    1,690
    48
    5
    Spark plug wire shorting at the coil or the spark plug. Test it with a spray bottle of water by spraying the spark plug wire near the coil and the spark plug and any where else that it can touch metal.
    kemo
     
  3. 67hat34c

    67hat34c Active Member

    297
    26
    0
    Sounds like a good idea. I was considering spark plug grounding out but did not see how it could happen. Plugs are new and did not see any wire issues when I changed them but then again was not looking for anything either. I am betting it is at the coil. Does act similar to getting moisture inside a distributor cap.
     
  4. kemo

    kemo R.I.P

    1,690
    48
    5
    Also you might not have got the spark plug boot on correctly. On my Buell it would do the same so I ended up using di electric grease in the boot
    kemo
     
    1 person likes this.
  5. BUBBIE

    BUBBIE Well-Known Member

    4,959
    83
    113
    Once in a while, my 2000 fxds with a lot of different electrical mods. like scrm-e ignition and heavy orange HD spark-plug wires (fairly new I THOUGHT) would not start AFTER WASHING... I would be some where like Sturgis at a car wash and got pressured water EVERYWHERE.. NOW WHAT?

    If you have a problem with a short you will get it WORKING at a pressure wash whether you want it OUR NOT..

    While cranking it over,, POP POP n sputter,, I put my hand along the coil n the plug wires and got a SHOCKING awakening..... After DRY, by using several wipe towels and MOUTH blow dry, it fired up and missed a couple of times than RAN fine after the HEAT dried out the electrical.....
    I did replace the wires and the FRESH ONES seemed to do good.... NO MORE pressure wash after that... Bucket and cloth.

    I KNOW, i know,,, all the sayings about the HIGH POWER PRESSURE WASH but YOU KNOW,,,,,, every now and then..... especially after a rain storm in SD, YOU KNOW THE KIND!


    The wires I thought GOOD were removed sever times before, bent, tugged on enough to PROBABLY breaking down the carbon inside the casing and remember Electric takes the path of LEAST RESISTANCE.

    SHOCKING , isn't it.

    signed....BUBBIE
     
  6. Hoople

    Hoople Account Removed

    7,198
    0
    34
    If you follow this path you will find your problem.