free website stats program Custom seat recommendation? | Harley Davidson Forums

Custom seat recommendation?

danspersonalid

I have an 02 Ultra Classic that I've put 51K miles on. The original stock seat is still on it (ouch!). On our last 3500 mile trip last month I decided to make 3 additional improvements - new handlebars, new speakers, and a new seat. I'm considering having a custom seat made. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has experienced the custom seat experience - positive, negative, maker, etc.

Check out mean City they do a great job of making old seats better than new

+1 on meancitycycle! They set the standard with customer service. I would not hesitate to recommend a customized seat from them. I'm more than pleased with my seat after they re-worked it.

Thanks for the replies. I've had mixed comments from Corbin users. Some love em, some hate em. Mean City sounds good. Anyone had a Bill Mayer saddle?

Ride & Leather in Jonesboro, IN refurbishes seats and installs custom honey comb gel underlayment.

Since I have a 105th anniversary Ultra and didn't want to change out the unique motif yet, I had them upgrade my seat. Since I never rode on a Mustang, Sundancer or Corbin, I can only compare to the stock seat.

Difference is noticeable and cost was less than $150

:p Bro, you came to the right place!!!

There are so many Ultra riders here you'll get a multitude of suggestions, but of course in the end it's a VERY, let's just say "personal" choice! :s

On MY 2003 Ultra I tried, (in addition to the stock seat of course), the HD Tallboy seat, a Mustang, a newer HD air seat, and finally settled on the brand I always wind up coming back to, Corbin.

Why did I try all the others?

Well, for one thing, I wanted to make SURE it was what I really preferred (and it was) by trying out others, and I knew that I'd have to go through that tough Corbin "break-in period", but in the end, I'm happy with my old stand by and really can't suggest anything I'd buy instead!

I was also thinking of a Corbin. How "tough" is that break in period???

Corbins are a good seat. I use them on all my bikes. It takes a while for the seat to contour to your shape but they are worth the time spent. Corbin says 1500 miles to take shape but it happens sooner than that.

I have Corbins on both my bikes. 60,000+ on the Road King and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Took around 1,000 miles or so to conform to my butt. My son just rode my Sporty 3100 miles on a brand new Corbin and he loves it too. He didn't notice a breakin period, said it was fine from the start, his butt is 30 years younger than mine too!

First I would like to say that this site is a wealth of information. Thank you.

I would like to add a sub-question to this post.
In all my reading on this site for seats or mod'd seats I have not been able to get my problem addressed...or specifically addressed. I have an 03 UC and the issue I have is that after about 100 miles, the back of my legs (thighs) start to hurt. They hurt right around the area where the hang over the edge of the seat. So, I have been looking for a seat that is wider. However, the issues that I have run across are that either the seats are just 1 inch wider or they are like the Zeppelin and are much wider but lift you up an inch or so.

I have read complaints about soreness and most seats are specified as bringing you forward, back up or down. I have not heard anyone specifically describe the issue I am having.
So - has anyone with a custom seat had the same issue with the legs and if so, what seat worked for you.

Also, I notice that when the backrest is one, the legs hurt more quickly. It appears that the backrest pushes me forward a bit and so my legs are hanging over even more.

Thanks for all your help.:D

Back