Custom Handle bars on a '99 FXST

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by terminator727, Aug 13, 2009.

1. terminator727

terminator727 New Member

I got a set of Wildones Chubby bars 2nd hand but brand new. Obviously didn't get the directions with them and having a problem. I need to run the wires thru the bars, BUT I have never tried this before. All of my wires seem to terminate in a large connector that will NOT fit up the bar. I tried to mess with the wires going to my one set of switches, but I didn't know how to disconnect the wires from them (OR IS THIS WHERE I SHOULD BE DISCONNECTING THEM ??) ! Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated - TY

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

3. terminator727

terminator727 New Member

Thank you, I wasn't sure how to remove the wires from the connectors and I had seen the pin removal tool before years ago for duetch connectors. I really appreciate the help.

4. Hill202

Hill202 Active Member Contributor

I did it with a paper clip and pliers. I cut the ends off the factory wires and soldered them on to the new wires, this allowed me to reuse the duetch connector.

This link may help you

Hill Country Custom Cycles Ape Hanger Kit - Hot Bike Magazine

5. jody7734

jody7734 Active Member

Make sure you sand down the inside lip of the wire holes a bit, I had a couple of mine catch and peel the insulation a bit. Run a pull string through the bars first and take your time. I found the whole project very frustrating but worthwhile.