free website stats program cruiser1610 | Harley Davidson Forums

cruiser1610

cruiser1610

My 1997 Road King is having intermittent problems with the Idle creeping up and the engine cutting out upon advancement of the throttle. This only happens for less than one minute then will take off and run normal sometimes for 30 minutes.. I have had the intake manifold checked,temp sensor replaced,fuel tank cleaned and fuel filter replaced all the wiring checked that I can find. If anyone has a helpful hint it would be great.

It is Injected and the idle is not steady. Not the temp sensor or the fuel,or thefilter, the throttle is not responsive only for about 30 seconds, during that time it will die and backfire and generally no power at all, then the beast will straighten up and fly right sometimes for 1/2 an hour. Really baffling. Just wish it would break down and then I could get it fixed.

Got a buddy who has a 97 injected RK too, after many trips to the Harley Shops around the country.......he ditched the Injection System supplied on the bike, installed a HD CV Carberator and hasn't had a single problem since. The conversion cost him about $600, the bike runs stronger and more reliably. Just a thought, might save ya some grief.

Is it throwing any trouble codes, when it's idling is there a consent miss, is there a tuner of any kind on it & has anybody hooked a fuel pressure gauge on it and cheched it while running, the early fuel injection system was very sensitive to fuel pressure.

Did you check the in the tank fuel lines if it is fuel injected? The hoses can develop pin holes that will "starve" the engine a bit...check the self help section for details or search tab using key words to find related threads. I think there was another related to ECM/Diagnostics related to turning of the ignition switch rather than using the kill switch...but my memory is fading a bit also.

Thanks for the input. I think the idea of getting the carberator has a lot of merit. These old cranky injection systems seem to be pretty touchy. If the next try does not get it going that is the road I am going to turn down.

Thanks

Back