free website stats program Cruise Control Install On 08 RK (Drive by wire) | Harley Davidson Forums

Cruise Control Install On 08 RK (Drive by wire)

glider.

BOT Machine

INSTALLATION: If your bike has a security siren the Maxi Fuse MUST be removed BEFORE the alarm is activated. This WILL happen within 5 seconds of turning the ignition switch to OFF position (except for HD-Japan models). If the Maxi Fuse is not removed promptly, the siren WILL SOUND. Remove the left saddle bag and the left side cover. Pull Maxi-fuse from Maxi-fuse holder within 5 seconds from turning off ignition. I don't have a siren but pulled the fuse for safety reasons anyway.

Follow the HEADLAMP NACELLE: REMOVAL instruction in the Service Manual to remove the handlebar clamp shroud.

1. Remove the windshield and headlamp door (chrome ring) a Remove the headlamp housing by removing 7 phillips screws. Remove the headlamp by pulling off three wire plug after depressing the sides of the plug.

2. Remove the chrome trim strip at the top of the nacelle, you'll find the nut inside the nacelle.

3. Remove the two phillips screws beneath the fork lock plate. Place a thin blade screw driver under the plate and gently pry the plate upward.

4. Loosen (I removed the screw completely) the Phillips screw (that was under the chrome strip that you removed before) at the front of the shroud. Now here is where I did different. The manual states to also loosen the 4 acorn nut on the side of the headlight nacelle, I only loosen the 2 on the left side.

5. Raise the shroud slightly, separate the nacelle halves and slide the shroud forward to remove it from the nacelle.

CAUTION: Do not remove or install the master cylinder assembly without first positioning a 5/32-inch (4mm) thick insert between the brake lever and the lever bracket. Removing or installing the master cylinder assembly without the insert in place may result in damage to the rubber boot and plunger on the front stoplight switch.

Getting away from the installation sheets I contemplated taking the hand control assemblies off and thought about the lever locations. I didn't want to have to play with adjusting them for my comfort so I place tape on both left and right handles to make installation easier. Did the same on the left side. REMOVAL OF LEFT AND RIGHT CONTROLS AND SWITCH ASSEMBLIES. You can use some tape to mark the positions of the switch housings on the bars.

6. Place a 5/32-inch (4 mm) thick insert between the brake lever and the lever bracket.

7. Refer to HANDLEBAR SWITCHES; REMOVAL; RIGHT HANDLEBAR CONTROLS in the Service Manual, and follow the instructions to remove the brake hand lever master cylinder assembly and right-hand upper and lower switch housing from the handlebar. It is not necessary to remove the throttle control grip. At this point I just mentally record the wire routing inside the switch assemble so I didn't get pinched wires.

8. Disconnect the handlebar control socket housing from the gray eight-way main harness pin housing inside the headlamp nacelle. Refer to HANDLEBAR SWITCHES; REMOVAL; LEFT HANDLEBAR CONTROLS to remove the clutch hand lever and left-hand upper and lower switch housing from the handlebar.

9. Remove the friction shoe (if so equipped) from the end of the tension adjuster screw. I omitted this step, what do I need this for? That is why I'm installing cruise control right or wrong. NOTE: The friction shoe is a loose fit and may fallout or become dislodged if the lower switch housing is turned upside down or shaken.

10. Verify that the 5/32-inch (4 mm) thick insert is in place between the brake lever and the lever bracket.

11. Obtain the new right-hand control from the kit. Separate the upper and lower halves of the control. Refer to HANDLEBAR SWITCHES; INSTALLATION; RIGHT HANDLEBAR CONTROLS in the Service Manual, and follow the instructions to install the right-hand upper and lower switch housing and brake hand lever master cylinder assembly to the handlebar.

12. Route the right-hand control harness along the same path as the original harness (along the right handlebar). Connect the pin housing to the black socket housing where you disconnected them in a previous step.

13. Obtain the new left-hand control from the kit. Right Handlebar Controls (from Service Manual)

a. With concave side facing upward, install friction shoe so that pinhole is over point of adjuster screw (non cruise equipped models only).

NOTE: The friction shoe is aloose fit and may fallout or become dislodged if lower switch housing is turned upside down or shaken.

b. Position lower switch housing beneath the throttle grip.

c. Position upper switch housing over handlebar and lower switch housing.

d. Verify that wire harness conduit runs in the depression at bottom of handlebar. Be sure that upper switch housing harness will not be pinched under handlebar when switch-housing screws are tightened.

e. Start upper and lower switch housing screws, but do not tighten.

f. Position brake lever/master cylinder assembly inboard of switch housing assembly engaging tab on lower switch housing in groove at top of brake lever bracket.

g. Align holes in handlebar clamp with those in master cylinder housing and start two screws (with flat washers). Position for rider comfort. Beginning with top screw, tighten screws to 72-80 in-lbs (8.0-9.0 Nm).

h. h.Tighten lower and upper switch housing screws to 35-45 in-lbs (4.0-5.0 Nm).

NOTE: Always tighten lower switch housing screw first, so that any gap between upper and lower housings is at front of switch.

i. Remove insert between brake lever and lever bracket.

j. Secure wire harness conduit to handlebar using two new cable straps. Position first cable strap approximately 4.0- 5.0 in. (102-127 mm) from handlebar clamp. Cut any excess cable strap material.

k. Test switches for proper operation.

14. Separate the upper and lower halves of the control. Refer to HANDLEBAR SWITCHES; INSTALLATION; LEFT HANDLEBAR CONTROLS in the Service Manual, and follow the instructions to install the left-hand upper and lower switch housing and clutch hand lever assembly to the handlebar. Left Handlebar Controls (from Service Manual)

a. Install new hand grip, if removed. HANDLE- BARS, Left Hand Grip.

b. Install upper and lower switch housings on handlebar. Be sure that ribs on outboard side of switch housings fit in , grooves molded into grip.

c. Verify that wire harness conduit runs in groove at bottom of handlebar. Be sure that upper switch housing harness will not be pinched under handlebar when switch housing screws are tightened.

d. Start upper and lower switch housing screws, but do not tighten.

e. Position clutch hand lever assembly inboard of switch housing assembly engaging tab on lower switch housing in groove at bottom of clutch lever bracket.

f. Align holes in handlebar clamp with those in clutch lever bracket and start two screws (with flat washers). Position for rider comfort. Beginning with top screw, tighten screws to 72-108 in-lbs (8.0-12.0 Nm).

g. Tighten lower and upper switch housing screws to 35-45 in-lbs (4.0-5.0 Nm).

NOTE: Always tighten lower switch housing screw first, sothat any gap between upper and lower housings is at front of switch.

h. Secure wire harness conduit to handlebar using two new cable straps. Position first cable strap approximately 4.0- 5.0 in. (102-127 mm) from handlebar clamp. Cut any excess cable strap material.

i. Test switches for proper operation.

15. Follow the HEADLAMP Nacelle: Installation instructions in the Service Manual to re-install the handlebar clamp shroud as follows:

a. If disassembled, re-install the Phillips screw, flat washer and nut on the handlebar clamp shroud.

b. Slide the shroud rearward down the gap in the top of the nacelle into position.

c. Mate the nacelle halves, and tighten the Phillips screw to the specified torque.

d. Secure the handlebar clamp shroud to the fork lock mechanism, and install the fork lock plate.

e. Verify that the trim strips are in place, and replace if damaged or missing.

f. Install the chrome trim strip at the top of the nacelle.

g. Tighten the four acorn nuts on the side of the head- lamp nacelle to the specified torque.

h. Re-install the headlamp housing assembly. Re-install the headlamp door and windshield.

16. Locate the four-way data link connector under the right side cover. Gently pull on the connector to disengage it from the arms on the electrical bracket. Remove the rubber protective plug from the connector.

17. Refer to the DIGITAL TECHNICIAN or the Touring Models Electrical Diagnostic Manual to verify the cruise control function on the vehicle ECM.

18. Re-install the rubber protective plug into the data link connector, and engage the connector into the arms of the electrical bracket.

19. Verify that the Ignition/light Key Switch is turned to the OFF position. Refer to the Service Manual and follow the instructions given to re-install the Maxi@ Fuse.

WARNING: Be sure that all lights and switches operate properly before operating motorcycle. Low visibility of rider can result in death or serious injury.

20. Turn the Ignition/Light Key Switch to IGNITION, but do not start the motorcycle. Turn the handlebar to the left and right steering stops, testing the handlebar control functions at each stop.

21. Apply the front brake hand lever to test operation of the brake lamp.

22. Refer to the Cruise Control section in the Owner's Manual for cruise control operating instructions. Test ride the motorcycle and verify that the cruise control is operating properly.

Back