free website stats program Crossover pipe | Harley Davidson Forums

Crossover pipe

MDCowboy

The new sportsters do not have the crossover pipe. I want to remove the pipe on my 99 883 (soon to be 1205) so I can get to the air screw. I know my bike is running WAY RICH, so I need to adjust.

Question is: Will this hurt anything?

Look further down the system for a crossover on the newer models. Many models did away with the old style under the carb and reinvented it further down the pipes and painted it black to hide it that connects the two pipes. Kind of hard to see without really looking for it.

In any event the crossover on your pipes is there to scavenge the system better and it also tones down the noise out the back end for EPA requirements but I would leave it if I were you. It's a bit inconvenient to get at the carb for some work but how often are you working on the carb?

Glider has you covered, but do follow the advice in the Self Help section regarding the stock Kehein carb setup. It is simple and easy to do...just remember to keep area clean and disassemble carefully noting the orientation of the small parts...so easy to lose and have to chase them 'round the garage...:s

Back