crossover pipe

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by kraut, Aug 8, 2011.

1. kraut

kraut Account Removed

Bear with me everyone. I'm new to the forum and I'm very new to Twin Cam Harleys. I've only had Shovels.
    I have a 1999 FLHTC with the cam gear upgrade and the 510G cam upgrade. It also has the Screaming Eagle 95 CI kit.
    The previous owner had punched out the factory mufflers a little. I punched them out more and removed the crossover pipe and welded up the holes and now I'm getting a squeaking sound that sounds like it's coming from the exhaust pipes. On another section of this forum I found out that it might be the rubber muffler mounts. If it's not the mounts, what could it be?

2. kemo

kemo R.I.P

99% that the rubber mounts are a bit dry and need a little grease kraut.
    Ken

3. kraut

kraut Account Removed

Okay, I'll get some grease on them tomorrow and I'll post how it helped, or not. Thanks!

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

5. kraut

kraut Account Removed

Gotcha!!! Thanks!!!

6. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

If you eliminated the pipe that went from the rear cylinder to right muffler, you caused a big restriction with the 90° turn right out of the rear port to the left muffler. It's possible that you're getting a little leak at the exh. gasket, or a tiny pinhole where you welded the pipe. If it still squeaks after lubing the hangers, you might want to look there.

7. kraut

kraut Account Removed

Actually, it was making the squeaking noise before I removed the crossover but after I punched out the mufflers. I'm hoping that by removing the mufflers I somehow put them back so that they now squeak. As far as a restriction at the 90* turn, I made sure that I kept the same diameter in the turn. I guess that could be but before I removed the crossover the right pipe was making the noise. Also, I was a welder for 38 years so, hopefully, I haven't gotten so rusty as to leave a pinhole but I guess it's possible, huh?

8. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

But not likely on your own pipes. :) Welding has always fascinated me, but I've never had much opportunity to practice. I have ox/acy. tanks, but my efforts are pretty "lumpy". :(

9. kraut

kraut Account Removed

The silicone grease did not cure the problem. So, I removed both mufflers and guess what? No squeaking. Then I gutted the mufflers and the noise is gone. Now I have to figure a way to get some back pressure. Or do I?