free website stats program Crank Runout and Allowable wear | Harley Davidson Forums

Crank Runout and Allowable wear

rebel1

How much wear is acceptable on the end of the crankshaft that runs in the camplate bushing. I have over .007 runout in the flywheels measured at the end of the crankshaft. I know Harley says .012 is allowed but there are significant wear marks in half of the crank stub. I have the engine out and want to get the flywheels trued and welded but am I wasting money if there is too much wear on the crank? It is a 2010 FLHTCI with 96 inch engine.
Thanks
Rebel1

How much wear is acceptable on the end of the crankshaft that runs in the camplate bushing. I have over .007 runout in the flywheels measured at the end of the crankshaft. I know Harley says .012 is allowed but there are significant wear marks in half of the crank stub. I have the engine out and want to get the flywheels trued and welded but am I wasting money if there is too much wear on the crank? It is a 2010 FLHTCI with 96 inch engine.
Thanks
Rebel1

The .012" spec was changed from .003" in 2007; same year cranks were outsourced to an offshore supplier. The increased tolerance, minimizes warranty exposure that the MoCo knew would be associated with the supplier change.

.007" is enough runout to beat the heck out of the oil pump and also is an indicator that the runout could increase over time and cause major problems.
If you get the crank trued, runout will be reduced to .0015", or better, and the problem is solved. I don't know how badly the pinion shaft is scored but the scoring could be bad enough that you should consider replacing the crank.

If you think you need to replace the crank, there is a guy on another forum that sells trued and balanced OEM cranks for a very reasonable price.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lower end with the flywheels have been sent to Revolution Performance. I'll see what they say on the pinion shaft wear. They say they can do an under sized bushing in the camplate and size it to fit the pinion after it has been turned down. I may also do their 107 kit. Anyone have any experience with the all aluminum cylinders?
Thanks
Rebel1

The lower end with the flywheels have been sent to Revolution Performance. I'll see what they say on the pinion shaft wear. They say they can do an under sized bushing in the camplate and size it to fit the pinion after it has been turned down. I may also do their 107 kit. Anyone have any experience with the all aluminum cylinders?
Thanks
Rebel1

Well, you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, you still have the cheezy rods tapred at the piston pin. If I had the crank out for work, those rods would have to go. No comment on the cylinders but I would bore seasone cylinders to fit H-D pistons before using any aftermarket kit. Good luck.

Back