free website stats program Craigslist Buyers beware! | Harley Davidson Forums

Craigslist Buyers beware!

Bodeen

Staff member
Contributor
Just want to share an email about a "deal" on CL that was listed recently. I have seen this before and a lot of times its the same bike listed all over the country.

Hello,

Thank you for being interested in buying my 2001 Harley Davidson FLSTF. It has 21,600 miles.

I'm a pilot on cargo flights. My wife broke up with me recently because I'm always away from home. We just sold our house and split the money. This is the last thing I need to sell and split the money with her.Because I'm away most of the time I will not be able to deal in person But I've already arranged the shipping and the title transfer anywhere in the US.
At this point I am in London, United Kingdom at my parents due to my father's situation, he's going through a hard time with his illness.

The bike is located in las Vegas,NV, if you want to buy it. Also i can ship you the bike for free anywhere in USA.I will have the bike shipped from NV by DAS (the bike has been crated and is ready for shipping because the loan of my previous buyer didn't get approved) so there won't be any additional shipping costs.
Full price is $2,100, shipping included, and all the documents will be provided along with it.The bike will arrive at your door in 2 days.I want the payment to be handled by eBayFinancial Department. They will keep the money until you will receive and inspect the bike You will have 5 days of inspection period. If the bike is not like described you will have to ship it back on my expense and they will give you a full refund. This way, you will be able to inspect the vehicle before committing to buy it and I know that you have the money and you aren't just fooling around.

Giving the nature of this transaction please note that my sale terms are final and nonnegotiable. In order to move forward I will need your full name, address and phone number so i can register the deal at eBay Financial Department.After that eBay will send you the payment instructions.
I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon.

Thank you,
Williams Steve

Seen this a dozen times. Ebay does not handles transactions not done on ebay. I sent him a reply that would get me a "POOF" button deployment here. Everybody be careful with your hard earned money. I'm just sayin...........

Bodeen

Seen those type of ads many times but it usually involves forwarding money to a shipper.

This seller however contradicts himself on the shipping agreement.:D

I see these type of ads on Pittsburgh Craigslist from time to time. The photo quality is great and a very large picture of bike. Surrounding seem like a sunny palm tree area of the country. The add is usually very short but what give it away that it is a scam is the price. It is usally 25% of true retail like Bodeen stated in his post.

Wayne has my way of thinking too...as with any business transaction, talk, like the Internet is cheap until it comes to the Inspection, Test Ride and Money Exchange...! Remember after all is said and done, a new purchase is an act of EMOTION and FAITH, if either is lacking...don't just walk away...RUN. Craigslist is how I found my ride...it is a Reference and Access Point, the deal is purely between you and the buyer...if you deal in "Virtual" you might as well be rolling dice!

Ya I have but it only cost about $35.00 or less.

I won't spend any kind of big money like that,
must see it and hear it run.

Especially on something like a bike. I have seen people describe a used car as "perfect" and it was a neglected rust bucket.

The thing is this scam artist makes the price just too low to make it sound real.

I once bought a used car at night. What a mistake that was. Many many moon ago when I was in my teens. And it was a REAL car!

Come on guys. Are you saying you never purchased anything on E-bay sight unseen?

Early on in the 90's before all the scams to deceive really had a chance to become viral. In this day and age of high tech card readers, fringe Internet security, if the deal is more that $50 I pass. Craig's list is different in that buyer and seller can negotiate a meeting place at a shopping center, bank or DMV for that big ticket item that is neutral and safe for both parties. E-bay is so Global and fraught with scammers, I choose not to unless again it is local, contrary to popular belief the next good deal is not the one in front of your face but around the corner. That is how I have been getting along with all my "bigger" ticket items like my Sporty, Bosch Washer/Dryer, fancy teardrop trailer or rough construction one (cheaper than renting one from Home Depot), construction help to landscape and remodel rooms at the house etc. You also learn to make a deal mutually agreeable and establish long term relationships with some.:s

Last edited:
Back