free website stats program cosa | Harley Davidson Forums

cosa

cosa1965

I recently purchased a 98 sportster and trying to learn more about mechanics.It runs great ,but had an incident two days ago, I went to start up and key on fuel on when i noticed gas dripped under carb to ground . Is it safe to ride just to a mechanic within 5 miles ? can this be very hazardous (explosive)Or is this a simple repair I have knowledge of motors ,but bikes engines are new ??

Welcome to the forum
The rubber tip on the float needle will have hardened and failed to seal when the float bowl is full and over fill it
Fuel will be dripping from the float bowl overflow

Brian

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
From Central Florida.

Tap on the float bowl (lowest part of the carb.) several times with the plastic handle of a screwdriver, with the gas valve on.

:good
Welcome from Pittsburgh, Pa.

Leaking fuel is always a bad situation on many levels.

Welcome to the forum. Possibly a sticky float, try doing as Breeze suggested. Also run a oz or so of Seafoam in your tank to clean out any junk you may have in the carb.

It would be in your best interest to just take the carb off the bike and open it up. If you can use a screw driver, it should be an easy process. Just remember not to fiddle with anything inside, other than clean it out and inspect it.

If it doesn't look right or corroded, either put it back together and take the whole bike to the shop or do the easy thing, and just give the shop the carb to rebuild.

Plus it will get you familiar with how the carb works.

Back