free website stats program Confused on primary chain adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Confused on primary chain adjustment

ahern25

Hey guys and gals,
Im new at doing the service on a motorcycle. I have an 09 road king plus I bought the manual from the dealer. Im reading in the manual but cant find the proper slack the chain should have or how to adjust it. It only shows how to take it apart. Im I missing it? Thanks for your help.

I read that thread earlier. I just figured there was a way to make the adjustment by hand. Also assumed the book would go into details on the slack and how to adjust. Seems like its not what I expected from the book.

Hey guys and gals,
Im new at doing the service on a motorcycle. I have an 09 road king plus I bought the manual from the dealer. Im reading in the manual but cant find the proper slack the chain should have or how to adjust it. It only shows how to take it apart. Im I missing it? Thanks for your help.

There's no opening to adjust the chain any longer being an automatic adjuster.

Use the link that Jack posted and give it a try.

+1 on the auto chain tensioner. I have the m6 in my Dyna and its nice not to have to mess with it and the shifts are smoother.

So when I do the service just check for wear and replace unit when nessasary? Makes sense. Thanks guys. How much wear before I replace?

When you see the wear down to about half way, don't do any further, it's cheap enough to replace but if it breaks, it can make a mess.

How are long are they lasting on 09's? I was trying to figure out when to open it up to check it. I have about 9400 miles on the bike at present.

The time they last would depend on how tight they get auto adjusted and that would depend much on riding style.

Back