free website stats program Compensator | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator

dd1228

My 2002 FLHTC with 70,000 developed a vibraton and noise coming from the primary side. As for the vibration I did all the usual things, replaced the front engine mount with Velva Ride (I think that's what it's called), checked the stabilizer links, etc,etc. I had the primary cover off recently and took apart the compensator and it looked OK. Any chance it can look OK and still be bad? It costs $165 at the dealer and I hate to spend that kind of money only to find out that's not my problem. But the funny noise and vibration came on at the same time and a bad compensator would definitely cause both things. Can someone shed some light. And yes, the nut was very tight when I took it off and retorqued to 165 ft/lbs.

I imagine that you have checked the exhaust to make sure that nothing is grounding out
Kemo

BIG Shot in the dark:

One time on a Jagg oil cooler,,,,, the mounting that converts the oil filter adaptor to hoses to the cooler,,,, The ADAPTOR Turned (slipped on gasket) and Grounded against the frame.... WOW it was a Big vibration Until i slipped it back away from touching the frame....

I think they make locks now so it won't Slip...

wild thought I know! but ?? Good information,,,,shows that anything touching from frame will cause the rubber mounted motor to Vibrate..

signed....BUBBIE

Believe me , I checked every place that the engine or any of it's parts might be touching the frame, and I can't find anything.

Thanks for answering, but I do not have an oil cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
While you were in the primary and your mind was on the compensator, did you check the chain tensioner and mount ??

Back