Compensator

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by dd1228, Oct 2, 2010.

1. dd1228

dd1228 Active Member

My 2002 FLHTC with 70,000 developed a vibraton and noise coming from the primary side. As for the vibration I did all the usual things, replaced the front engine mount with Velva Ride (I think that's what it's called), checked the stabilizer links, etc,etc. I had the primary cover off recently and took apart the compensator and it looked OK. Any chance it can look OK and still be bad? It costs $165 at the dealer and I hate to spend that kind of money only to find out that's not my problem. But the funny noise and vibration came on at the same time and a bad compensator would definitely cause both things. Can someone shed some light. And yes, the nut was very tight when I took it off and retorqued to 165 ft/lbs.

2. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I imagine that you have checked the exhaust to make sure that nothing is grounding out
    Kemo

3. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

BIG Shot in the dark:

One time on a Jagg oil cooler,,,,, the mounting that converts the oil filter adaptor to hoses to the cooler,,,, The ADAPTOR Turned (slipped on gasket) and Grounded against the frame.... WOW it was a Big vibration Until i slipped it back away from touching the frame....

I think they make locks now so it won't Slip...

wild thought I know! but ?? Good information,,,,shows that anything touching from frame will cause the rubber mounted motor to Vibrate..

signed....BUBBIE

4. kemo

kemo R.I.P

You can buy the anti rotation devise from Jagg. I think are about $10.00.
    Kemo

5. dd1228

dd1228 Active Member

Believe me , I checked every place that the engine or any of it's parts might be touching the frame, and I can't find anything.

Thanks for answering, but I do not have an oil cooler.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010
  6. HarryB737

HarryB737 Junior Member

While you were in the primary and your mind was on the compensator, did you check the chain tensioner and mount ??

7. dd1228

dd1228 Active Member

We were in the primary to install a Hayden M6 tensioner. So that is good now.

8. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

What about the magnets in the stator. They may have become mis-aligned

9. dd1228

dd1228 Active Member

That's a good idea. I'm going to check that when I take apart the compensator again.