free website stats program compensator upgrade & extra parts | Harley Davidson Forums

compensator upgrade & extra parts

ironmark

I ordered the compensator upgrade kit & with over 20,000 miles on my bike should there be any parts that I should replace while I have everything apart ? I would just as soon replace parts now then have to take everything apart in a few months . The starter in the bike has been replaced around 16,000 mi & I still have starting problems that is why I am putting in the compensator kit , hoping that will cure the problem . Both starters made a grinding sound @ times like the starter is not engaging all the way so could there be damage to the ring gear ? I think 103" stage 2 kit may be hard on the starting system because the heads did not have compression releases installed .

ya wont know till ya pull it apart check the ring gear and also the primary adjuster

Do you start the bike in gear or in netural?

I start the bike in netural with the clutch disengaged . Could the grinding noise come from just the compensator ? There has been times that the starter was grinding & it stopped & I had to hit the starter button a second time .

Might be a mating problem between the starter and the ring gear. Either too tight or not aligned just right, maybe due to a flaw in the case where the starter mounts'? Maybe warped a little bit. I had an inner primary once that was warped, and I thought that was strange for a cast part. On cars and trucks sometimes the starters are shimmed out to compensate. If your on your second or third starter and you still have that problem something isn't right. Hope you figure it out. I know it's really frustrating when you can't put your finger on a problem like that. Especially when it's a costly one. Good luck.

The compensator sprocket would have nothing to do with the starter grinding or not engaging / disengaging properly.
As has been stated, it sounds more like an alignment or mating problem between the starter and the ring gear.
If I were you, I would check the ring gear closely for damaged teeth, or anything that might cause an obstruction to the starter bendix.
As far as starting, the only thing the SE compensator will do is eliminate that heavy "bang" on startup caused by the weak springs and shallow ramps of the stock compensator.

2008 is this bike not still underwarranty? if so whay are you messing with it ?

I am tired of hearing the clunking & grinding & worrying that the bike will not start & leave me stranded , the starter does not make the noise all the time but it seems to happen more often when the bike is warmed up . Maybe I should let the dealer do the install that way if they find that there is a problem with the ring gear then most of the labor would be covered . I am thinking that it is about a 2 hour install .

Back