free website stats program Compensator Troubles | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Troubles

The fix that Jeff has noted in a previous post does not apply to the later compensators but is a fix for the pre-'07 units. n '08 or '09, not sure but was just lipstick on a pig.

I stand corrected, I was under the impression the comp nut was a issue even on the later models.

Nah, poor lubrication and fretting has been the main issue since the compensator was replaced with the "new and improved' version. The scuttlebutt has it that in '07 when the crank manufacture was out sourced to an off shore supplier, there would be issues with crank failure with the early compensator design. So the factory runout spec for warranty purposes was increased from .003" to .012" and the compensator was redesigned. As you may recall, the '07model year did have a higher incidence of crank failures than subsequent years and I suspect most were due to the new vendor and quality control.

As you can see from my previous post, the MoCo has been trying to address the compensator problem since the redesign in 2007. It does seem that this latest upgrade with the glued in oil deflector trays is working. Gluing some plastic trays into the inner primary cover just doesn't sound like a fix for a Harley now, does it?:rofl

Compensator failed on my 2012 Ultra at 43,000 miles. When looking at the failed part, it is clear that you couldn't make it out of any cheaper or poorer grade material than what Harley is using. Just a note, I change my engine oil every 2500 miles along with the primary oil. So extra care doesn't solve anything. In Harley's defense, when you go out to Sturgis and see 95% of the bikes there getting transported on a trailer, in a trailer or in the back of a pickup, how good do they have to make these things. You shouldn't sit on your seat either because they start coming apart in the 40,000 mile range.

Back