free website stats program Compensator problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator problem

glaxo1

I have an 07 FLHTC with 45K. Within the past year the H-D dealer has diagnosed a loose compensator twice. Each time the mechanic told me he tightened the nut. The noise level was lessened but was still louder than I thought it should have been. I didn't quiz him as to what he specifically did. I figured he's the pro and did it correctly. It's been 4 months since the second fix and now the noise is back and as loud as ever. I haven't called the dealer for an appointment yet but I have talked to several people and have been given various advice: 1) weld the sprocket. 2) add a .003 " shim. 3) shave
.003" off the nut. 3) install a SE compensator 4) install a shim as well as replacing the nut. 5) replace the other nut (mechanic). I know there is hundreds of years of experience among you guys and gals out there and am very interested to hear your opinions. I would like to go to the dealer with some valid discussion points rather than just dropping it off and hoping the third time does the trick.
Thanks folks.

I had my whole clutch side replaced last summer, part of the problem was the compensator nut would not hold it's torque. At a minimum the nut has to be replaced, you might find more damage because of it like I did.

If you are not having any issues with the clutch nut, I would say SE compensator will fix your problem. FYI In 2011 all touring models come standered with the SE compensator. Obviously Harley quietly admitted to themselves there was a problem with the old compensator.
WAP.gif

Why can't you just eliminate the compensator on all fuel injected models and go direct drive??

The compensator dampens the power pulses of the engine and makes for a smoother ride, as well as starting off. My Shovelhead is direct drive and there is a noticeable difference, especially at lower steady rpms.

As Breeze3at said it is a shock absorber for the transmission and helps prevent shock loading on the transmission components

Brian

I have an 07 FLHTC with 45K. Within the past year the H-D dealer has diagnosed a loose compensator twice. Each time the mechanic told me he tightened the nut. The noise level was lessened but was still louder than I thought it should have been. I didn't quiz him as to what he specifically did. I figured he's the pro and did it correctly. It's been 4 months since the second fix and now the noise is back and as loud as ever. I haven't called the dealer for an appointment yet but I have talked to several people and have been given various advice: 1) weld the sprocket. 2) add a .003 " shim. 3) shave
.003" off the nut. 3) install a SE compensator 4) install a shim as well as replacing the nut. 5) replace the other nut (mechanic). I know there is hundreds of years of experience among you guys and gals out there and am very interested to hear your opinions. I would like to go to the dealer with some valid discussion points rather than just dropping it off and hoping the third time does the trick.
Thanks folks.
I just installed the SE compensator and I cannot believe the difference. Way less noise and it takes off and accelerates so much better its almost like riding a different bike. No clunk when you kill it, no clunk when you put it in gear. I'm in love again!!:) Listen to the guys. They will not steer you wrong.

Why can't you just eliminate the compensator on all fuel injected models and go direct drive??

Vibration, if you have ever ridden an older model Sporster you would swear it was about to shake it self to death, combined with solid motor mounts to frame many did

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't take any chances,replace with the SE compensator
HD is doing this on newer models for a reason

Back