free website stats program clutch question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch question

Thanks Jeff. It actually happened twice - once at home and again when leaving church.

Bill

Another reason I avoid going to church :D

Do you have the proper free play in the clutch lever??? Although if the tranny was in neutral, I wouldn't think that would make any difference.

Good Morning again.
Don, Jeff and Jack -- thank you all for your input here. Just a couple of things to mention -- I have not adjusted the clutch. The transmission/clutch seem to be working as they should. The clutch does not slip and is actually set up pretty nice when in gear and letting it out (lever) to take off. It shifts good and is (for the most part and most times) quite and smooth. I use Redline Shockproof Heavy in the tranny and HD Formula + in the primary. This has only happened two times as I mentioned. But, the bike was in Neutral and the clutch lever was pulled in - something I always do ever since Bubbie suggested pull in and hold for 5-6 seconds before shifting down into 1st gear from neutral.

It did not 'clunck" - but it did act like the clutch was engaging and the bike moved (not lunged or anything violent) just moved forward hummmm not more than about 1/2" just a very small bit. Sorta like starting IN GEAR with the clutch not totally disengaged.

I read up in my repair manual on clutch adjustment and will take the advice given here and give that a try and see what happens. I will get back with all you all with results. Meantime, oh yeah, just thought of this too -- sometimes I have difficulty finding N - seems I go from 1st to 2nd - back to 1st then back to 2nd a couple times before i get the green N light.
I know to adjust the clutch is the first thing I need to do now so that's what I will do.

Thanks to all for your help.
Bill
Hey Bill, the info you gave will be more helpful in trying to figure out the issue you're having. I said in a earlier post that you may want to check you're shift linkage just to make sure you're not partially in gear. Having a hard time finding neutral could be connected to you're problem. JMO.

Strange one here. Do you notice this when the bike is cold or better yet when its cold out? Maybe your tranny fluid is too heavy and the fluid is actually causing a drag in the gearing and giving you just slightest bump forward? Just a thought

Even though the transmission is in neutral the trans. main shaft is turning as it is connected to the crankshaft through the compensator sprocket. With the turning mass of the trans. and a slightly misadjusted clutch the plates can stick together even if the lever is pulled, and give a slight jerk as the plates become unstuck. That Is why I ask if a clutch adjustment had been done in a while.

I would agree with this whole heartedly! Check your clutch adjustment and I think your fine. As for having trouble finding neutral, raise your rpm just a bit as you go for neutral. I would bet it will be ten times easier. :s

Billbo,

This problem as said IS Not a problem.

Answer: The Gear lube WE use (ShockProof Heavy) is just that,,,,,, Heavy...

Even with the clutch pulled (Not Disengaged yet) until started, the tranny gear oil will turn in the tranny, pulling while in Neutral and YES it can pull on the bike and going forward a BIT is not unheard of...

Think about the gears are always turning and even when the clutch pulled
(Yours was probably still NOT disengaged Yet even though clutch pulled)

The Redline will act like it is in gear (even in Neutral) a Little like an automatic tranny in gear... SLIGHT pulling here is Not unusual.

There is nothing wrong with your bike and like you said it is where you want it.... So Don't adjust.

Finding Neutral is some what a challenge for many riders:

I leave in and out on the clutch Just a little and it will usually get there easily.

Remember YOU command the bike Don't let it Command You.:s

signed....BUBBIE

Billbo,

Even with the clutch pulled (Not Disengaged yet) until started, the tranny gear oil will turn in the tranny, pulling while in Neutral and YES it can pull on the bike and going forward a BIT is not unheard of...

The Redline will act like it is in gear (even in Neutral) a Little like an automatic tranny in gear... SLIGHT pulling here is Not unusual.

There is nothing wrong with your bike and like you said it is where you want it.... So Don't adjust.

I leave in and out on the clutch Just a little and it will usually get there easily.

signed....BUBBIE
BUBBIE, I gave you're response some thought and the only flaw I see is Billbo said it only happened twice and the second time was after leaving church. I would assume he rode the bike to church and the fluid would have been warmed up and assuming it was parked for a hour or so the fluid should not have thickened to the point it would pull the bike forward. Just wondering about you're thoughts? I've never used shock proof heavy so I don't know how it reacts to colder weather.

Billbo,

signed....BUBBIE

Exactly what I said in my post above

BUBBIE, I gave you're response some thought and the only flaw I see is Billbo said it only happened twice and the second time was after leaving church. I would assume he rode the bike to church and the fluid would have been warmed up and assuming it was parked for a hour or so the fluid should not have thickened to the point it would pull the bike forward. Just wondering about you're thoughts? I've never used shock proof heavy so I don't know how it reacts to colder weather.

I think it doesn't have to be Cold Thick to do what it did.

The Lube IS thicker when even warm, HOT It may not draw on the gears.

ALSO the clutch was probably tight together and only Loosen After it is started...

IF It happened every time, we could find out exactly, but it doesn't.

I have NO Doubt that my thinking is correct here... NOTHING else could be the problem as all works fine when 99.9999999% of the time.

I really believe ANY fairly good Thick tranny fluid will TUG on the turning gears and Any of our clutches will be tight together to help out on the feeling and the slight motion ahead.

MY bike HAS done the same thing. Now I am talking about SLIGHT not moving more than an inch at most and probably not that.

Enough from me on SPECULATION:D

YES plumber, you said it correctly ALSO.

njmasterplumber
Re: clutch question
Strange one here. Do you notice this when the bike is cold or better yet when its cold out? Maybe your tranny fluid is too heavy and the fluid is actually causing a drag in the gearing and giving you just slightest bump forward? Just a thought

signed....BUBBIE

I think it doesn't have to be Cold Thick to do what it did.

The Lube IS thicker when even warm, HOT It may not draw on the gears.

ALSO the clutch was probably tight together and only Loosen After it is started...

IF It happened every time, we could find out exactly, but it doesn't.

I have NO Doubt that my thinking is correct here... NOTHING else could be the problem as all works fine when 99.9999999% of the time.

I really believe ANY fairly good Thick tranny fluid will TUG on the turning gears and Any of our clutches will be tight together to help out on the feeling and the slight motion ahead.

MY bike HAS done the same thing. Now I am talking about SLIGHT not moving more than an inch at most and probably not that.

Enough from me on SPECULATION:D

YES plumber, you said it correctly ALSO.

njmasterplumber
Re: clutch question

signed....BUBBIE
Guess I learned something new, coming from a cold climate I never experienced such a thing. Thanks BUBBIE.

Well, now the only thing I did fail to mention here is that it was COLD that day -- cold for Louisiana and me is below 60 - that day it was about 40 F. Here the temps are usually up around 70-95+. I tend to believe I don't have a 'major' problem either as it only happened 2x that day. Mostly my clutch/tranny clutch lever and throttle all seem to me to work fine. I do like the Shockproof. When this occured, it was colder than usual and and shifting after I got going was as usual too. NOTE to anyone (Bubbie) - on that cold morning the transmission shifted with NO clunk at all!!!!! It just (imagine) slipped into gear quietly - no clunk no noise no jerk. But for that tiny lurch forward - it was perfect. I mentioned it here on the forum only because I had not noticed that happening before and I thought perhaps something was out of adjustment and knew I could always depend on you guys here for help. As usual - I got help.

I truely appreciate this forum and ALL the guys here for their experience and knowledge and mostly because of their willingness to jump in and help!!

Thanks again so much
Bill

Back