free website stats program Clutch issue?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch issue??

Jeremy0388

Hi All,
On the way to work this morning my '03 Lowrider gave me some issues. After a stop sign and turn into traffic I shifted to second and gave it a bit of gas and it revved up like the tire broke loose. It was a damp morning so I didn't think much of it. Later on into my ride it kept revving up on me like the clutch was slipping or tire breaking loose. I didn't think I was going to make it up a hill at one point but it had all of a sudden "grabbed" again and gave me enough to get to the top of the hill. I was able to limp it to work but this was the first time it has acted like this and seems a bit extreme to me for a clutch to be fine yesterday and a mess today. It only has a tick over 20k on it. Does this sound like a clutch issue or possibly something else?

Thanks in advance.

Is your clutch cable or hydraulic actuator?

Where was the clutch previously gabbing as you let out the clutch handle (just barely let out, half-way, almost all the way released)?

Have you tried adjusting the clutch per Glider's procedure?

Cheers,

TQ

Clutch is cable actuated and it didn't feel to be grabbing at a different point on the clutch lever this morning (it's about 1/4 out I'd say where it grabs). Now that I think about it though, when I got the bike this year (only about 650 miles on it since) the clutch would grab immediately with the slightest movement of the lever (I stalled it a couple times not expecting it to grab so quick). I'm still at work for a couple hours so I haven't been able to adjust anything yet if needed. I'll check to see how much slop and the engagement point when I leave work today.

Take a look here, this is what TQ was referring to.

Here is an almost fool proof method for clutch adjustment. It takes the guesswork out of the "feel" for the adjuster.
Once you have opened up the derby cover and are ready to proceed. ALWAYS adjust the clutch on a COLD motor otherwise you could have shifting problems as the motor warms up.

1)Collapse the adjuster on the cable sleeve all the way.

2)Pull the lever against the bar and hold it there with light force.

3) After breaking the clutch lock nut loose,turn the pushrod adjuster bolt in with the allen wrench while holding the lever against the bar lightly until it starts to force the lever away for some distance. (Do this more than once to get the feel). While keeping light pressure on the lever back the adjuster bolt out just until the lever touches the bar again and then another little bit, about 1/2 turn , then tighten the lock nut in this position while holding the adjuster in place so it doesn't move. Easiest done with a "T" handle allen wrench.

4)Adjust the cable free play at the lever for 1/16"-1/8" free play and lock the lock nut on the adjuster. Slide the protective cover back over the adjuster.

You should be good to go .

Always adjust the clutch on a cold bike for best results.

It's better to adjust the clutch so that it starts to grab at least an inch or more from the bar for complete disc separation, which translates into better/quieter shifting.
Using this method, you can "feel" where the lever is going to grab with a little practice.

ALSO see clutch clutch adjustment by the book.

Clutch Adjustment By The Book - Harley Davidson Community

Hydrallic clutch adjustment...

Remove derby cover. Loosen bleed screw with hose to redirect any fluid discharge.
Loosen clutch lock nut and screw in adjust screw until clutch piston bottoms out lightly. Tighten bleed screw and back off adjust screw 1/2 to 3/4 turn. This will give you full travel on piston. 1/2 to 3/4 "slop" will come out first time you cycle clutch lever. Tighten lock nut and reinstall derby cover.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

Edited to remove thread header items - SledDog

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you do a lot of burnouts? Sounds like clutch for sure to me. I've always used the HD Manual method for adjusting my clutches.

For correct operation the wet multi plate clutch needs the correct oil in the primary if the wrong oil is in the primary the clutch can grab or slip
What oil do you currently have in the primary

Brian

Jeff & TQ, just finished up the adjustment and went for a ride. It didn't slip moving through all the gears! Thanks for the tip and I'll be keeping an eye on it to make sure this adjustment wasn't just a temp fix to a bigger problem.
Thanks!

Back