free website stats program Clutch Issue in Port Dover | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Issue in Port Dover

Great day in Port Dover today, really busy there today the weather was beautiful on the shores of Lake Erie. But in all the stop and go traffic my 09 Heritage Classic got really hot, and could not get it to shift in neutral, the bike was lunging forward even with the clutch engaged, shut it down for a couple of hours and it was fine on the way back home. Sorry to be so long winded, any thoughts or ideas on this greatly apreciated. It never happened like this before.

Sounds like a good time to change the primary oil and adjust the clutch cable. Any how it won't hurt any thing to do the primary oil. Yes it was a beauti at Dover and the 40% chance of showers didn't happen.
Ken

Great day in Port Dover today, really busy there today the weather was beautiful on the shores of Lake Erie. But in all the stop and go traffic my 09 Heritage Classic got really hot, and could not get it to shift in neutral, the bike was lunging forward even with the clutch engaged, shut it down for a couple of hours and it was fine on the way back home. Sorry to be so long winded, any thoughts or ideas on this greatly apreciated. It never happened like this before.

IF the cable has 1/16 to 1/8 clearance at the housing??? IF MORE ,,,,the clutch plates really got hot also and too tight to shift properly Might NEED the adjustment.

I'd Do like Kemo says and take off the derby cover and drain the Primary THEN adjust the clutch.... Look at a few of My latest post if you want AS I do have some good information there..

Click on my name BUBBIE under my avatar and look at All post by BUBBIE and you will find the one Not too far back...

Loosen cable and use the 1/2 turn out for the clutch setting..

I had my 09 right after i bought it IT NEEDED the clutch set properly as HD didn't from new..

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
If it happens again after adjusting the clutch, suspect a frayed clutch cable, that would require replacement of the cable.

Back