free website stats program Clutch drags | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch drags

e7171

I replaced the clutch on my 84 FXR. It is an early model with the dry clutch. It was slipping and the steel discs were scored pretty badly. So I put in new steel discs and plates (used the OEM fiber plates) new springs, new hub and bearings. Now the clutch drags. I went through all of the adjustments, 1/8 in at the release lever. Adjusted the release arm at the transmission by backing out the cable and tuning in the adjuster bolt to remove play from release arm and backing out 1/4 turn. Checked the tension on the springs and adjusted to 1 in. (Book calls for 7/8 to 1 1/32). And it still drags.

I am kind of at a loss am I missing something?

One thing I have found is the steels or the fiber plate are not flat. One or more may have a bow and will cause the drag.

Put a steel rule cross them (both sides) to verify they are flat...

The other thing that comes to mind of is to check the clutch hub studs. Some times the fiber discs cause them to wear very fast and you end up with grooves that cause drag. I had that happen when I changed a clutch hub and used a set of aftermarket fiber discs (did have enough money to spring for an OEM or a better quality aftermaket set).

And last but not least, the fork on the end of the throw out bearing rod (right side trans case) may have a crack. When you pull the lever, the crack opens wide enough to not allow the rod to release the clutches completely.

Thanks SledDog. I checked the steel discs and they are flat. I also took a look at the clutch hub studs they are not grooved. And I had the cover off the other day and inspected the fork and it looked good. Maybe I'll pull the cover angain and have a closer look.

thanks

Back