free website stats program Clutch Cable Lubrication | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Cable Lubrication

BOBFLHTC

I recently saw a post on lubing the clutch cable and since I am in the process this evening I thought I would post a few pics on what works for me. For years I was taking the cable off the handle and squirting Bike Aid in and generally getting it all over and some down the cable. I tried to pull the loose end last year and couldn't move it. I figured I was due for a new cable and bought one that now serves as a backup since I got the old one to work fine. The idea of using a Ziplock bag is in the self help section too.

1) Loosen up the adjustment on the bottom end and place something to catch the oil coming out
2) Take the top end of the cable out of the handle
3) Cut a small hole in one corner of a Ziplock bag and push the top end of the cable through.
4) Use electrical tape to secure the bag just below where the cable comes out of the plastic shield and hang the bag up
5) I used MMO for lubrication
6) Sliding the cable in and out from the bottom occasionally will help to get things going. When the cable moves freely and oil is coming out its done

Its suggested that you blow up the bag, close it and place a rubber band around it but I find this works fine.

Hope it helps - Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1929.jpg
    IMG_1929.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 198
Back