free website stats program Clutch Adjustment Problems 96 FLSTC | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Adjustment Problems 96 FLSTC

Craig8558

I have adjusted my clutch 3 times now and each time it goes back to acting like it did before I adjusted it. What it is doing is, it's hard to downshift and the clutch handle is all the way to the bar and it still is not completely dis-engauging. Do I need a new clutch, pressur plate or what?

Not to seem like a wise aker, I have adjusted the clutch 3 times using the easy clutch adjustment method. And it keeps going back to what was the problem to start with.

Not to seem like a wise aker, I have adjusted the clutch 3 times using the easy clutch adjustment method. And it keeps going back to what was the problem to start with.

No problem, just trying to help you. Check this out:

Clutch Adjustment Video - Harley Davidson Community

If doing this exactly does not help, then there is something wrong with the clutch system. Once the adjustment is made in the derby cover and the lock nut is tight, then you adjust the cable jacket to take up the slack in the lever and leave just about a 1/4" of travel before it starts to release the clutch. As you pull the lever, you should see the throw agains the diaphram spring and the clutch pack should move an separate. If this is not happening, then I would be worried that the ball and feed ramps inside the right sidecover have gotten out of alignment. That is where I would go next. Remove the tranny side cover and make sure that stuff is all the way it is supposed to be.

TQ

Yes I watch the video tonight and I did everything right by what the video shows. Guess it off to check the ball and feed ramps inside the tranny.

I have adjusted my clutch 3 times now and each time it goes back to acting like it did before I adjusted it. What it is doing is, it's hard to downshift and the clutch handle is all the way to the bar and it still is not completely dis-engauging. Do I need a new clutch, pressur plate or what?

Sounds like maybe some of the clutch cable strands are breaking internally. As they break, one at a time, it makes the cable slightly longer. Could be that or maybe wear in the 3 ball linear converter on the right hand side gear box area. (?)

Yes I watch the video tonight and I did everything right by what the video shows. Guess it off to check the ball and feed ramps inside the tranny.

As Hoople pointed out above, if the cable is parting, it will also do the things you describe.

TQ

Back