free website stats program Clicking In primary While Cold | Harley Davidson Forums

Clicking In primary While Cold

Tpops

Recently I have been hearing a clicking noise coming from my primary when I first start the bike up. Its an 06 Nightrain. Not sure if its coming from the front or the rear of the primary. But it only happens until the bike gets up to operating Temps then I dont hear it any more. Any ideas what this can be.

Just a guess, but the primary chain tensioner might be hanging up allowing the chain to flop around a bit. The clicking could be the chain scraping the inner primary.

Might try running up to 30 - 35 mph in 2nd, then backing off suddenly. You really can't see much in the primary with the clutch in the way, but it won't hurt to pull the inspection cover and shine a flashlight to see how loose the chain is. Might be able to jiggle the tensioner with a bent clothes hanger. You might also have to pull the outer primary cover but that will cost you a gasket.

May need a fluid change, and if so check the plug for aluminum looking grey gunk.

Noise tends to travel, and it might be a lifter not pumping up right away or even something in the valve train. Harbor Freight has an engine stethoscope for cheap that will help pin down the noise source.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Well i havent been able to check anything out on the Bike. The day I posted this I wrecked by a soccer mom in a mini van on a cell go figure. My scoot is in the shop I did tell them about the noise. The mechanics told me they couldnt find anything wrong other than good ole harley noises. Go Figure

An '06 Night Train would still have the manual adjust primary chain. '07 & later have the auto. adjust. '06 Dynas may of had the auto adjuster also. They had a lot of changes for the '06 Dynas
tourbox

An '06 Night Train would still have the manual adjust primary chain. '07 & later have the auto. adjust. '06 Dynas may of had the auto adjuster also. They had a lot of changes for the '06 Dynas
tourbox

Good info, thought they were the same.

Silver

Back