free website stats program Cleaned my bike - disaster ! | Harley Davidson Forums

Cleaned my bike - disaster !

riwig

Hi,

Have been followed this forum since i bought my bike, Fatboy, in early August. Great forum and i have learn a lot during the last 2 months.

Today, after coming home from my Sunday ride with the local chapter i washed the bike as usual. I wanted to get the nice mat black color on the engine back and a friend of mine has told me he use some cleaning for tire. So, i took my Turtle Wax, Nano Tech Wheel cleaner... and started spraying it on and brush with my tooth brush (the old one! ).

I rinsed with warm water and first it look awesome, the engine was like it was when new. However, the chrome cover had some strange pattern and i tried to wipe it off but it was impossible to remove. Tried with chrome polish, same again. It was still there. What happened? Has any of you guys seen this before and what can i do to remove it?

Richard

Attachments

• Chrome problem.jpg
    Chrome problem.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 221
Engine was cool, and i used the usual wash soap for the rest of the bike. Only the engine got the Turtle Wax, Nano Tech Wheel cleaner. Rinsed with warm (body temp) water.

I just took a second look at the problem and it's only chrome cover on the right side of the enginetht has this problem. Left side looks OK.

Just a silly observation....Are your sure this problem did not exist before the cleaning.

Try the the Turtle stuff on you neighbors chrome. OOps did i just say that !!

Looks like a reaction or transfer of something as a result of the product used. Just on the chrome, try some lacquer thinner on a rag and do a spot to see if it removes it. Don't saturate the rag just dampen it and see what happens.

There's no clear coat on the chrome so I think it's a transfer of some sort.

Yes, the chrome was perfect before cleaning. Just a little dusty.

Thank's for the tip, will try the Turtle stuff on my neighbor's car bumper. :)

Thank's Glider,

Yes, it look's like some reaction on the chrome. Not on the surface but inside the chrome. Will try your tip tomorrow. Strange it only happends on one side...

Last edited by a moderator:
:57::57:if u can put a little spit on your finger and the acid from it takes it off u can use a lite rubbing compound with a mirco-fiber towel and it should take it off. It looks like dry soapy residue.

Sorry guys, nothing seems to work but thanks for all the tips. As Glider mentioned before it seems to be some reaction inside the chrome. I guess i have to buy a new cover... :(

Yes, i hope so. I have the first service next week and will try to have this cover replaced. The question is if the dealer will replace it or just tell me i should have tried this cleaning soap on some "invisible" place first.

Did you try Softail's suggestion..rubbing compound?I know in my industry many products simply wont touch others.For removing film or overspray from a finely finished surface,rubbing compound is god.

Have tried Softail's suggestion but it dosen't work either. From what i can see it looks like it inside the chrome. The surface is smooth and it shines like it did before it happends. I wonder if there could be a reaction between the bolt in the cover and the chrome? The bolt is not chromed/stainless steel and it looks like the reaction start there and "flows" out from there.

Back