free website stats program Chrome or polished stainless | Harley Davidson Forums

Chrome or polished stainless

Thinking of swapping out stock legs, but hear different things on chrome vs polished stainless. If I'm not mistaken, the cow bells are polished stainless. Any and all responses/opinions are welcome.

Attachments

• RKC11.jpg
    RKC11.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 31
Some 0000 steel wool and polish and a Saturday after noon and you can make your lower legs look polished:s

Some 0000 steel wool and polish and a Saturday after noon and you can make your lower legs look polished:s

I've seen this and like usual I can't remember where. Someone somewhere on the net took the aluminum lowers off and polished them to a mirror finish. They looked great.

I wish I could remember where...:panic :eam

I don't think you can get stainless steel lower legs. I polished my Dyna and Electra lower legs. About an afternoon each, and while not as shiney as chrome, they look good. Upkeep is not as difficult as some will have you believe.

Attachments

• forks 002 (640x426).jpg
    forks 002 (640x426).jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 36
With the great suggestions above why not just try it and YOU might like it. There is nothing to loose but some time and energy while saving a bunch of cash..........:s

I will second Breeze. I am not aware of anyone offering lower legs machined from stainless steel. Furthermore, I imagine the cost would be quite high due to the machining costs related to stainless. I too have polished the aluminum legs with very satisfactory results. There are a number of companies that offer polishing supplies. Eastwood is one that I have done business with in the past. IIRC they have an online guide that will explain the steps involved to achieve the level of finish that you desire. Good luck.

I don't think you can get stainless steel lower legs. I polished my Dyna and Electra lower legs. About an afternoon each, and while not as shiney as chrome, they look good. Upkeep is not as difficult as some will have you believe.

WOW! Seeing this I may have to try it. As soon as I can get some direction on steps on how to get it done. I'll take a weekend and have at it. I saw some guy on ebay had a swap deal, send him mine, he sends me the polished ones for around $160

WOW! Seeing this I may have to try it. As soon as I can get some direction on steps on how to get it done. I'll take a weekend and have at it. I saw some guy on ebay had a swap deal, send him mine, he sends me the polished ones for around $160

Supplies should be less than $20 (not counting adult beverages). I'd be happy to give you a step by step for supplies and process. It may be in the self help area already?

I took a lot of the aluminium parts off my sportster engine covers and fork lowers and removed the clear coat from them and polished using a bench polisher using a medium and soft mop with medium and fine polishing compound
Clear coat was removed by using a gel paint stripper just paint it on wait a wee while clear coat bubbled up and a plastic scraper was used to scrape off the clear coat
I bought a bench grinder with a more powerful motor (cheep ones use the weight of the grinding discs as a flywheel) I removed the grinding discs and fitted some polishing mop spigots and fitted the polishing mops
I drilled some holes in a cheep portable work bench and bolted the bench polisher to it
Many a cold winter evening was passed polishing away in the shed nearly as good a shine as chrome and a wee bit of wax over the top of the bare metal protects it from needing too much time on re polishing

Brian

Back