free website stats program Chrome cleaning | Harley Davidson Forums

Chrome cleaning

Ian Wayne

I've read on the self help threads,that pledge works good on your windshield but will it work to get the crud off your spoked wheels and other chrome parts?Used all kinds of different chrome cleaners,not impressed with any of them.. Ian....

I've read on the self help threads,that pledge works good on your windshield but will it work to get the crud off your spoked wheels and other chrome parts?Used all kinds of different chrome cleaners,not impressed with any of them.. Ian....

On the chromed metal parts of my bikes, I use very fine (0000) steel wool and soap and water to clean off any baked on grime (mostly the pipes, heat shields, and spots near them). I don't use too much pressure and work in a circular motion on the affected area. But my bikes are working bikes not show pieces, so they see lots of road grit.

TQ

I use a product called Luster Lace on my spokes and I'm very pleased with it. You can probally find it a local shop near you.

I'm going to try and find luster lace here in Canada my be tricky if not i'll try on line.Thanxs everyone for the tips..Ian..

I swear by BlueMagic Metal Polish Cream. This was recommended to me by a few Harley guys who have been using it on their scoots for years. After applying, it leaves a great protective layer (silicone) and is safe for exhausts. Has taken off everything from road grime to melted boot soles.

Can usually be found at any auto parts store, and the 7 oz jar will last FOREVER.

For the spoked wheels... Simple Green diluted at a 1:1 ratio. Use a spray bottle to apply to the wheels, engine, neighbor's dog (completely biodegradable) and hose off... "beautiful shine everytime." (watch out, Billy Mays!)

294306_300.jpg
simple-green-clean-f001.jpg

On the chromed metal parts of my bikes, I use very fine (0000) steel wool and soap and water to clean off any baked on grime (mostly the pipes, heat shields, and spots near them). I don't use too much pressure and work in a circular motion on the affected area. But my bikes are working bikes not show pieces, so they see lots of road grit.

TQ

Would a scotch bright work better as no metal pieces? Always used it on Firearms and other stuff that i didn;t want to have 2 different metals contact ..

Not sure on Chrome and i doubt it but on other metal Steel Wool will leave pieces embedded in the surface and will start tot rust

Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover works great for me. I once had a heat shield that melted and burned onto one of my pipes. I tried everything including oven cleaner and nothing worked. To my amazement, the Turtle Wax product cleaned it right up. My next step was going to be the steel wool.

I use Simple clean for general cleaning.

You can't beat Gel Gloss for polishing and protecting chrome.
I would strongly advise against anything abrasive like Scotchbrite or SOS pads. Anything abrasive like that will do a nice job for a while until it finally gets all the chrome off your metal.

This stuff is made for the soft materials in bathtub surrounds, so is sure to not damage your chrome finish.

gg-1.jpg

Mothers Chrome Cleaner for regular cleaning. In fact any cleaning on chrome on the last couple of *new* HDs.

Autosol for tough jobs e.g. to clean up my FXR which was very weather beaten.

In both cases use ample cream, rub lightly and lots of elbow grease. Sometimes using an old toothbrush (or one that's not yours :D ) before a rag seems to get things moving.

I used Steelo Pads on my '47 Chev chrome but I wouldn't use it on anything much newer!

Back