free website stats program Chrome Black Out Product | Harley Davidson Forums

Chrome Black Out Product

revok1200

I was wondering if anyone else has ever tried Dupli-Color's "Shadow" product for blacking out Chrome.

I recently tried it and it seems to give a real quality finish for a rattle can product. Looked good enough on some old mirrors that I had that I went ahead and did the ones on my RG.

Has anyone else used it, and if so how did it stand up to the wear of time and the elements?

I would say since it's a paint it will wear away over time.
That's why I went with powder coating, made to withstand whatever can be thrown at it by nature and time.
I've seen pros media blast the chrome parts before painting them.

I agree, powder coating is the best option whether chrome or regular metal, but I have always been adventurous and cheap ;), anyway figured I would give this stuff a try and see how it works out. At twenty dollars for the kit if it wears well could be a good alternative.

It lays down well on the chrome and covers nice, now will give some road time to see how it holds up before doing anything major. Included a pic, the mirrors and control levers are what I did, the handle bars came black.

Attachments

• mirrors and levers.jpg
    mirrors and levers.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 65
Looks good. Keep us posted. I thought about picking up a a kit, but cannot seem to think of anything to paint :( So I talked myself out of it.

Looks good. Keep us posted. I thought about picking up a a kit, but cannot seem to think of anything to paint :( So I talked myself out of it.

You could always buy a new bit of chrome just to try the kit out :bigsmiley12:

Brian

I will let you all know how it ends up wearing over time, I figure it should hold up atleast as good as paint with a good clear coat, but will check in down the road to post an update.

Update on Chrome shadow black product.

Have had it on the bike now for a couple months and the problem I have had has been with the clutch lever and my ring. Where the ring comes in contact with the lever has chipped away the coating. I am gonna recoat and then put leather covers over the levers. Everything else is holding up well. Will check in a few months from now.

Back