Chrome Black Out Product

Discussion in 'Custom Models' started by revok1200, Mar 27, 2011.

1. revok1200

revok1200 Active Member

I was wondering if anyone else has ever tried Dupli-Color's "Shadow" product for blacking out Chrome.

I recently tried it and it seems to give a real quality finish for a rattle can product. Looked good enough on some old mirrors that I had that I went ahead and did the ones on my RG.

Has anyone else used it, and if so how did it stand up to the wear of time and the elements?

2. trike lady

trike lady Junior Member

I would say since it's a paint it will wear away over time.
    That's why I went with powder coating, made to withstand whatever can be thrown at it by nature and time.
    I've seen pros media blast the chrome parts before painting them.

3. bwalsh22

bwalsh22 Junior Member

Never heard of it, looks like some cool stuff... In case anyone is not aware here is a link to the product info Dupli-Color :: Shadow

4. revok1200

revok1200 Active Member

I agree, powder coating is the best option whether chrome or regular metal, but I have always been adventurous and cheap ;), anyway figured I would give this stuff a try and see how it works out. At twenty dollars for the kit if it wears well could be a good alternative.

It lays down well on the chrome and covers nice, now will give some road time to see how it holds up before doing anything major. Included a pic, the mirrors and control levers are what I did, the handle bars came black.

Attached Files:

5. bwalsh22

bwalsh22 Junior Member

Looks good. Keep us posted. I thought about picking up a a kit, but cannot seem to think of anything to paint :( So I talked myself out of it.

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

You could always buy a new bit of chrome just to try the kit out :bigsmiley12:

Brian

7. revok1200

revok1200 Active Member

I will let you all know how it ends up wearing over time, I figure it should hold up atleast as good as paint with a good clear coat, but will check in down the road to post an update.

8. revok1200

revok1200 Active Member

Update on Chrome shadow black product.

Have had it on the bike now for a couple months and the problem I have had has been with the clutch lever and my ring. Where the ring comes in contact with the lever has chipped away the coating. I am gonna recoat and then put leather covers over the levers. Everything else is holding up well. Will check in a few months from now.