free website stats program checking the oil | Harley Davidson Forums

checking the oil

killertiki

on the dipstick on my 02 sportster, there are 2 black lines, at what point do you need to add oil? i checked it when i got home from a 30 minute ride and its 1/3 the way past the the lowest line(between the 2 lines), is it low on oil?

Not knowing your ride, and not filling up from empty with filter, I put in 2.5 quarts and see where it lines up on the dipstick warm (on my 2004 you check level on jiffy stand). The oil level reads exactly 1/2 way between full mark and low mark. The first time I filled to 3.0 quarts it was about 1/8" below full warm. After a long hard ride the following weekend, I parked my bike on a slight incline (leaning on jiffy stand about 10 degs more)...came back and there was a small puddle of fresh oil. That is why I fill my oil this way. Your ride you decide...

on the dipstick on my 02 sportster, there are 2 black lines, at what point do you need to add oil? i checked it when i got home from a 30 minute ride and its 1/3 the way past the the lowest line(between the 2 lines), is it low on oil?
Generally speaking --- IF the oil level is between the two lines - it's OK. Usually, the top line is a MAX and the bottom line is a MIN. Always check the oil as per your owners manual and add when its below the bottom line but never fill above the top line.

Bill

I bought the bike used, with 5k on it, but no manual

Sounds like "Now" is a good time to at least change the oil and filter then the primary-tranny oils...
If you do this it should show you where Full is on the dipstick (like suggested, use the Lesser amount).... then You will know and ALL Oil will be Fresh...

Do you know what oils were used in the bike from previous owner?

I would suggest a good quality 20/50 wt. synthetic for the engine and I have always had good results, in my 1200 sport R, using the Formal+ HD sells for the tranny-chaincase , But stay away from the Syn3 HD sells for the motor!!!!!!

signed....BUBBIE

Search around and get a manual. At the very least, an Owners Manual but I would highly suggest a Service Manual. Priceless...

Back