free website stats program Checking Engine Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Checking Engine Oil

londonlad

I just got my '07 Ultra triked by Hannigan. Does anybody have advice on checking the oil since HD says to check oil while bike is on jiffy stand. Now bike (trike) is upright. How does this impact (if at all) the oil level on the dip stick? Thanks in advance

I just got my '07 Ultra triked by Hannigan. Does anybody have advice on checking the oil since HD says to check oil while bike is on jiffy stand. Now bike (trike) is upright. How does this impact (if at all) the oil level on the dip stick? Thanks in advance

Good question, call your dealer and order an owners manual, my guess is the oil stick for a trike would register with the trike sitting level, if you check the oil HOT it should be in between the low and full mark but not over full

Keep it simple.

IF nothing has changed SINCE you got it built,,, and it was FULL then, you look Where it is Now on the dip-stick and Call that full...

Now, later, when you change it and put the proper amounts of oil back in, warm it up, LOOK at the dip-stick and get a visual of where it is; Now call that FULL when warmed.:D

signed....BUBBIE

I should have read this closer, I would drain the oil, measure if you can what came out, if proper level should be about 3 1/2 qts. Next change the oil and refill with 3 1/2 qts oil run til hot see where it is on your stick hot, on the side stand it would be full or close to it, you can make a new mark on your stick to reflect this as your NEW full mark For trike reasons now you will be measuring your oil level flat not on a side stand

Last edited by a moderator:
The dipstick should have two locations to check the oil....one on the jiffy, or leaned over, and the other upright. Your check should be made with the upright indicator on the dipstick. Look t it closely and you'll figure it out.

There should be two sets of marks on it.
If these marks aren't present on yours, you may want to purchase one with the marks on it.

Like the trike lady said the MoCo sells a dipstick with two sets of markings you may want to get one or take a file and make a mark on existing dipstick when you know it is at the correct level.

Oil Level Cold Check

Perform engine oil level COLD CHECK as follows:

For pre-ride inspection, place vehicle on level ground and rest the vehicle on its jiffy stand (unless sidecar is attached).

Remove filler plug/dipstick and wipe off the dipstick. Insert the dipstick and tighten into the fill spout.
NOTE:

The oil level marks for checking with motorcycle upright or on jiffy stand are on the same side of the dipstick. Be sure to use the correct portion of dipstick when checking oil level.

See Engine Oil Dipstick. Remove the dipstick and verify the level of the oil. The correct oil level should register midway (2) between the FULL and ADD marks on the dipstick.

NOTE:

If oil level is at or below the ADD mark, add only enough oil to bring the level to the middle of the two marks on the dipstick.
Oil Level Hot Check
NOTES:

The engine will require a longer warm up period in colder weather.
Engine oil level hot check should be performed only when engine is at normal operating temperature.

Perform engine oil level HOT CHECK as follows:

Ride motorcycle until engine is at normal operating temperature.

Place vehicle on level ground and rest the vehicle on its jiffy stand (unless sidecar is attached). Allow engine to idle for 1-2 minutes. Turn engine off.

Remove filler plug/dipstick and wipe off the dipstick. Insert the dipstick and tighten into the fill spout.
NOTE:

The oil level marks for checking with motorcycle upright or on jiffy stand are on the same side of the dipstick. Be sure to use the correct portion of dipstick when checking oil level.

See Engine Oil Dipstick. Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. The level should be between the ADD (1) and FULL (3) marks. Add oil as necessary to bring the level to the FULL mark on the dipstick. Do not overfill.
NOTE:

Refer to Recommended Engine Oils. Use only recommended oil specified in Engine Lubrication.

Start engine and carefully check for oil leaks around drain plug and oil filter.

en Caution

Do not allow hot oil level to fall below Add/Fill mark on dipstick. Doing so can result in equipment damage and/or equipment malfunction. (00189a)
en Caution

Do not overfill oil tank. Doing so can result in oil carryover to the air cleaner leading to equipment damage and/or equipment malfunction. (00190a)

Check engine oil level at each complete fuel refill.
Refer to Regular Service Intervals: 2009 Touring Models. Oil should be changed at specified intervals in normal service at warm or moderate temperatures.
Oil change intervals should be more frequent in cold weather or severe operating conditions. See Winter Lubrication.

Engine Oil Dipstick

ADD QT (lower) mark
Cold check level
FULL (hot check) mark

Engine Oil Dipstick
Changing Oil and Oil Filter

Top of page
en Caution

Thanks everyone for all your input. Seems to be a matter of: "When all else fails, follow directions" As suggested, went to the owners manual and LO AND BEHOLD! there were the instructions for sidecar use of dipstick. Thanks again

Back