free website stats program Check Engine Light after Inner Primary Service | Harley Davidson Forums

Check Engine Light after Inner Primary Service

dalrich

Hello! Looking for a little advise... Had the inner primary serviced yesterday (new seals, gaskets, etc.). About 15 miles from the shop, I stopped for a cup of coffee. When I got back on the bike and started it (I normally wait for the security light and check engine light to go off before hitting the start button), the engine light went out, and then a few seconds later, it came back on and the went off. I guess that means that a historical code was set? Bike seemed to be running ok, maybe a little rough, but who knows; could be that I'm paying closer attention.

Anyway, on the 70 mile morning commute, after about 50 minutes and while riding at about 70 mph, the light came on again, and went off after a 10 seconds or so.

My question is; could work on the inner primary cause the check engine light to come on? Or, could it be pure coincidence? Anything that I can do first before taking it back to the dealer? I thought that maybe a plug wire could be loose, but both were ok. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Forgot to mention that I upgraded the headlamp bulb, higher watt high beam... maybe this has something to do with it? As mentioned earlier, seems to run ok, maybe a little rougher than normal... but, light doesn't stay on. OK to drive?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks TQ, I think I'll be bringing it to the closest dealer (40 minute ride) and have them put it on the scanner, find out the code, and then clear the code. Hopefully not a big deal...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks TQ, I think I'll be bringing it to the closest dealer (40 minute ride) and have them put it on the scanner, find out the code, and then clear the code. Hopefully not a big deal...

You can use TQ's link and pull the codes yourself, if you wish.

They may have removed battery cables while working on the primary for safety sake. Might want to check them, but pulling the codes would be the first thing to do.

They may have removed battery cables while working on the primary for safety sake. Might want to check them, but pulling the codes would be the first thing to do.

That is a good point! Check to make sure that the battery cables are nice and snug at the battery AND the other end of each cable (pos will go to Starter, and neg will go to Starter mounting bolt).

TQ

Thanks for the info! Definately will check the battery cables too! Put it on the scanner yesterday, and the codes were either P1351 or P1352 (I can't remember which now...), anyway, the tech said the coil should be replaced. What would cause this to go bad? The bikes an '02 w\ 20,000 miles... could connections just need cleaning?

Thanks for the info! Definately will check the battery cables too! Put it on the scanner yesterday, and the codes were either P1351 or P1352 (I can't remember which now...), anyway, the tech said the coil should be replaced. What would cause this to go bad? The bikes an '02 w\ 20,000 miles... could connections just need cleaning?

Well those would be:

P1351 Front Ignition Open/Low Carb
P1351 Front Ignition Open/Low EFI
P1352 Front Ignition Coil High/Shorted Carb
P1352 Front Ignition Coil High/Shorted EFI

Sounds like it could be the coil. Assume they cleared the codes and tried to run it and the codes returned.

TQ

He did clear the codes, I've put almost 200 miles on since (yesterday), light hasn't come back on (yet)...

Back