free website stats program Charging dilemma | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging dilemma

time2cruise

When I bought my 04 FLHTCUI one of the selling features was he’d just had the HD dealer in Boise ID do a new stator and voltage regulator in the last 3 months. As some of you read, the stator went out on my last trip to Jackson Hole over the weekend. I had that one fixed at Saddleback HD in Logan Utah.

I called the Boise HD dealer to get the RO and they didn’t show any work being done by the guy I bought it from (second owner). I gave them the VIN and they are sending me all the RO’s they did for the original owner on the bike. I emailed the guy I bought it from and he sent me an invoice from FTF Cycle in Nampa ID with stator and regulator. Okay, finally getting to my questions.

The stator that was burned out looked physically smaller than the new one they put in last weekend. The invoice I got from the seller says they used a stator for a 02 – 05 FLT but no part number. I don’t even know if it’s a real Harley part. They also used a voltage regulator for a 97 – 01 FLT, part # 74505-97. I’m guessing these fit but are not made for the larger electrical demands of the Ultra. Now that I have the right stator, will the regulator be enough to work with it?

I would feel better with the proper size regulator on the bike. The previous years had a lower output stator.

I agree with Glider. Using the one you have now is a risky move. It may work for a while but when it does quit, it probably will take out your New Stator.

Hoop!

Hey you went through one vicious cycle on the road, certainly do not want a repeat performance...if the regulator overheats (and because it is undersized, it easily could) given the greater stator/rotor alternator output of the later model bike, it can damage the stator...! Regulator is only about $100, may even want to go for the one for your bike in SE chrome probably for similar amount of dollars.

Last edited:
I'd do the chrome, but it's hidden behind an oil cooler. Thanks again. New one going on in the next couple of weeks when I get my new TFI in the mail.

Back