Changing Tires/Rims

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by fiveoh455, Mar 28, 2012.

1. fiveoh455

fiveoh455 Active Member

Is there an issue with putting Street Glide Rims/Tires on a Road King? I have a 2012 Road King, but I like the Street Glide rims much better. The rear tire size of the Road King is the same size as the Street Glide, but the front tire/rim size is different between the two models. The Road King takes a 130/80 B17 65H, and the Street Glide takes a 130/70 B18 63H. I know switching the rear won't make a bit of difference, but what about the front? Will it affect the speedo accuracy? Change how the bike handles etc.?

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

I would be more concerned if your King has ABS. If so I would say there will be a problem...:newsmile077:

3. fiveoh455

fiveoh455 Active Member

How would the ABS be affected?

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Do you know if the axles/bearing IDs are the same?

I don't think your speedo is mechanical off the front wheel anymore.

TQ

5. Dswartz

Dswartz Active Member

The ABS compenents are stored inside the hub of the wheel. This makes them hidden and improves the bikes appearance but also makes it a nightmare if you want to swap wheels.

6. fiveoh455

fiveoh455 Active Member

I had a telephone conversation with a Harley Davidson customer service rep this afternoon. I learned that the Street Glide sized wheels are sold as an aftermarket accessory for the Road King in the HD P&A catalog. The RK and the SG share the same frame, thus swapping the wheels makes no difference. There is absolutely nothing to be concerned about regarding this change. Thanks for the responses....I'm going riding!!

7. flhrrider

flhrrider Member

Police road kings have Street Glide wheels. My '11 road king classic has street glide wheels. ABS bearings have magnets in them. You just need to match the bearings as to ABS or non. The wheels are the same. Have fun. rider

8. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

If you don't already have the SG rims and you want a Great price on some chrome SG rims check out www.willyshiny.com" . I put SG rims on my RG from Willy Shiny and there has been no problems and they look great. :newsmile106: